General I found a Fiat X 1/9 for less than $400, should I buy it?

Currently reading:
General I found a Fiat X 1/9 for less than $400, should I buy it?

I spot the green one in the background! Its an earlier car with the alloy ladder bumpers. Possibly more desirable to some, possibly more rusty??? How much is that one? How did the guy end up with 2?

I will never regret buying mine, Its broken down a couple of times and has needed loads of work over the 7000 or so miles I've driven it. I've managed to keep it going with a full time job, two young kids and no garage.

If you buy an X1/9 it will most probably be bitter sweet - with emphasis on the sweet. It is so rewarding to drive and for that reason its a little more disappointing when it doesn't go. You will need breakdown cover!

If it does flop on you then you can take what you've learnt, get another and use the first one for parts!

Its a shame you don't have easy access to the later Lapredi engines in the US as that is what I have fitted to mine, with later Bosch Motronic fuel injection. Although over there you had the fuel injection from new when we didn't.

Last edited:
Even if you buy a really good X1/9 eventually you will find some rust, somewhere.

In the spare wheel compartment you should check behind the sound proofing material as this can disguise holes! That weird stuff could naybe be stuffing from inside the seat??

The clutch might be seized, I have read about various methods of freeing them off. You cant be sure on the gearbox until the clutch is working i guess but the gear syncros are usually weak, parts are available to rebuild the gearbox DIY (£200/$300 in parts+) whilst a rebuilt gearbox in the UK costs approx £700/$1000. Its usually cheapest to try and find an OK second hand box.

I reckon most good x1/9s have iffy syncromesh on at least one gear...

If I was to buy that car, along with dealing with the rust I would fit a new clutch kit, clutch master and slave cylinders. Brake master cylinder and probably rebuild the brakes. This would help improve any chance of reliability :)

Depending on how long the car has been standing the carb will most probably need a rebuild (presuming its not fuel injection). The auto choke will probably not work, most of them don't as I understand. My car was converted to manual choke when I got it.

The doors are renowned for rusting on the X, although we must remember that most 30yr old cars would be rusted if they were still on the road prior to restoration. At least in the US you have access to dry state cars

If you have a friend or relative who is willing to assist and advise then make the most of it. I have learnt so much from working on my X1/9 and although I'm 29 :)cry:) I have had older cars in the past which were in worse condition.

The typical advice is 'buy the best example you can afford'

I found this great blog last night http://www.x19blog.com/?author=1 although unfortunately it has not been updated for a while there is loads of really useful info and photos to demostrate the kind of work you would need to undertake with that $400 car.

Any info on this green car?

It's a lot dirtier for one thing. Bugs and all. It's from Oregon, it's a 76 and its $200 dollars. No engine, no transmission(I tested that, I rowed the gear lever around in a big circle)
But there is virtually no rust.
The seals on the top for this one don't look like they've been chewed like licorice and it's honestly in fantastic condition for its age (except for the nitty gritty disgusting interior, which I can clean considering the price).
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1420663992.383066.jpg

OMG buy them both!!! :slayer: You cant go wrong!

If your planning to USE the car then you'l have to go through everything on another car anyway. Even if you spend quite a lot more $. Thats my experience - I spend $2250 on mine with a fresh MOT. then I have had to do quite a bit of work. I'm changing the drveshaft CV's this weekend! Its had an engine upgrade, the clutch slave failed, clutch plate wore out, I broke 4th gear on the original box, its had headlight wiring upgraded, dash bulbs upgraded to led's, new battery etc etc it needs new front shocks, wheel bearing, brake pipes replacing...

Are we providing enough encouragement here? I would be looking at this as an investment for the future for sure! $600 for both that's £400! almost half the cost of one reconditioned gearbox!

Have you got somewhere to store them?

What is the safety test like in Washington? Can you drive any old death trap like they do on Roadkill? :cool:

Last edited:
OMG buy them both!!! :slayer: You cant go wrong!

If your planning to USE the car then you'l have to go through everything on another car anyway. Even if you spend quite a lot more $. Thats my experience - I spend $2250 on mine with a fresh MOT. then I have has to do quite a bit of work. I'm changing the drveshaft CV's this weekend! Its had an engine upgrade, the clutch slave failed, clutch plate wore out, I broke 4th gear on the original box, its had headlight wiring upgraded, dash bulbs upgraded to led's, new battery etc etc it needs new front shocks, wheel bearing, brake pipes replacing...

Are we providing enough encouragement here?

What is the safety test like in Washington? Can you drive any old death trap like they do on Roadkill? :cool:

As far as I know, yes I can drive any deathtrap. Is it a death trap???
I'm also exempt from emissions due to the age so any exhaust upgrades are pretty much open at this point.

"Right kids we're moving to Washington!"

no - not a death trap unless drive it when the brakes dont work. Avoid main roads at first haha

Have you seen Roadkill on youtube? by Hot Rod Magazine? its Ace

Back