Technical Exhaust mounting vibration springs

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust mounting vibration springs

purf

Established member
After a year of enthusiastic ownership of my x1/9 one question I still have is regarding the exhaust mounting.

I have noticed the anti vibration springs for sale and saw a description stating that damage would occur to the silencer etc if they were not used?

Looking through the history of my car, I found three or four receipts for exhaust manifolds over the years? And I had to reseal the exhaust downpipe flange about 5 times in 6 months...

Is this because I don't have the springs fitted?

Do you people think they are needed?

Do they fit between the bolts securing the silencer to the bell housing bracket?

I don't know about springy thingy's but if that was an issue I'd use a Punto 90 flexipipe and mount the back box on the floor of the car only. That will eradicate any pressure on the manifold.

Yes these bolts do fit to the bell housing bracket/silencer bracket.
The bolts are unique on the x19. I have a pair if your interested.

I found this in the Haynes

Now I understand! So when the bolts wear out people cant find ones long enough so they loose the springs.
I still don't fully understand how they relieve stress. Is it to do with expansion and cooling or just vibration?

20141208_205304_zps86fc5fda.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to remember the dowels going through the bracket are a different diameter to the threaded bolt bit, which might help to locate the exhaust in the correct position and be stronger so as not to shear off. The springs may help to prevent over tightening the bolts.
Surely fiat wouldn't go to all that trouble for no reason?

Last edited:
Ah yes I remember seeing them, the bolts have a larger shank. So it must be to allow movement, probably for expansion and to absorb vibrations.

Exactly - they wouldn't have fitted them for nothing!

I should get some, ill put it on the to-do list...

Maybe some old valve springs... :D

Back