Technical Engine recommendations?

Currently reading:
Technical Engine recommendations?

Shaybaz

Hi

I am about to buy x 1/9, and I would like to make an engine swap, with boosting it up to 300hp.

Wondering which are the engines that fits perfectly inside the x19 engine bay?

And also, does the 1.8 HGT can be fitted too?

Thank you very much
(I am new here)

There are plenty of engine options that fit but 300+bhp through a standard X1/9 gearbox won't be up for the task.

If you want 300bhp in mid-engined sports car try a MkII MR2
The twin entry turbo can make that sort of power forever without spending a great deal.

If you're set on an X1/9 the best way would be to find a cheap Delta Hf restoration project and use a few Van Aaken bits. ;)

If you want to do an engine swap there are various recommendations on this forum but for 300hp you're going have to do a lot fabrication work and it is going to cost a lot make sure you pick a solid car no good putting that power into a rust bucket!
I'm doing a punto gt powered conversion at the moment but i'm only aiming for 200hp that is quite easy to achieve with that engine very cheaply but once you start wanting more it's going to get expensive and do you really need 300hp 0-60 at 200hp is around 5 seconds that will smoke most anything!!!

There are plenty of engine options that fit but 300+bhp through a standard X1/9 gearbox won't be up for the task.

If you want 300bhp in mid-engined sports car try a MkII MR2
The twin entry turbo can make that sort of power forever without spending a great deal.

If you're set on an X1/9 the best way would be to find a cheap Delta Hf restoration project and use a few Van Aaken bits. ;)

Thank you, :)
What is "van aaken bits"?
Does the delta HF fits perfectly?

Hi gunna
Your protect sound perfect to me
Can I learn from you?

The Punto GT is pretty much the same as an Uno Turbo conversion. The Delta is just as straight forward. Straight forward-ish at least.

When picking a donor remember to check for the availability and prices of parts. GT's are getting rare and collectible these days.

If you want a like for like swap with more modern management I have a Punto 1.6 Sporting (late genII 128 block). ;)

you can use the Palio engine its based on the Uno turbo bottom end just the casting of the block is different to accommodate the 16v head .you can use the UT gearbox but you have to upgrade to a ls diff.my x19 has one in and we are making 330whp at 1.2 bar boost.

you can use the Palio engine its based on the Uno turbo bottom end just the casting of the block is different to accommodate the 16v head .you can use the UT gearbox but you have to upgrade to a ls diff.my x19 has one in and we are making 330whp at 1.2 bar boost.

Wow I bet your throttle has been replaced with a detonator switch!!!
would love to see some pictures of the engine bay, when I was looking into what engine and gearbox to use I was told the UT gearbox wasn't as strong as the Punto box gt box that's why I chose it plus got the whole engine, gearbox, intercooler and wiring as a whole lot cheap.

Shaybaz if I get around to it I will photograph the modified pieces it may be of use to others in the future as well, there all in a box at the moment a little bit burried so could be a while!!!

Any of the lower linkage gearboxes can fit. The Punto is a later upper linkage box. I guess you could get cables custom made or see if MGF ones can be adapted but as soon as they stretch you'll get a sloppy change.

Your right mg-tf gear shifter and brackets fabricated to change gears but the slop comes from worn parts in the shifter itself, mines nice and tight and you can get an after market one that's better quality heres the adapeters and the shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_20131029_192216.jpg
    IMG_20131029_192216.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20131114_195829.jpg
    IMG_20131114_195829.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20131112_191711.jpg
    IMG_20131112_191711.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 42
Back