Styling Front bumper removal on a budget...

Currently reading:
Styling Front bumper removal on a budget...

purf

Established member
Following on from the land rover bump stop solution...

One Cascu 1300 front air damn
Hack saw and some sikaflex...
Couple of brackets.
One sheet of grill mesh

To be continued...

Attachments

• 1410301347896.jpg
    1410301347896.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,137
Last edited:
I've seen quite a few American X1/9's since becoming an owner again. Do they all have "Donk" suspension?

I know the bumpers were for the 70's American impact tests that ruined many cars.

The US spec' rubber bumper MGB was an inch and an eighth higher than UK chrome bumper ones.

If so the -30mm springs I've spotted could be -90mm springs for you guys. ;)

Not a very good photo. Will try and get a more flattering one...

Attachments

• 1410443417509.jpg
    1410443417509.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 236
It all needs painting as its in black stone chip under the original bumpers. Looks a lot better than a gaping hole and should protect the radiator a little from stones etc...

I've not yet fitted the wire mesh.

The original bumpers were surprisingly lightweight. I was actually really impressed with the design, its quite clever.

I'm not going to modify anything so its irreversible...

Is that the original alloy bumper cut down on the front??? I like it a lot!!!

Back end looks nice! This lady reversed into mine in a car park when the pumpers where still fitted. No damage to the X1/9 what so ever but her VW Lupo bumper was totally caved in :)

Last edited:
Yes, the front bumper is a single bar from a 1300 series bumper, cut down a little.

I know I am risking the rear end by removing everything.... but it sure looks nice! :spin:

My solution involved my hammers and some sheet steel and is still work in progress, bumpers will be polished aluminium with a 1300 flavor to them but my own twist!

Attachments

• 20140826_211714.jpg
    20140826_211714.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 147
I bought the euro bumpers from CASCU and made and welded the grille and lower lip myself.The lights are from a Suzuki Jeep i found at a scrap yard for £5

Attachments

• WP_20140628_002.jpg
    WP_20140628_002.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 246
Instead of putting those plastic covers over the ends would it be plausible to trim them back, weld in a captive nut for a tow hook to bolt into?

Top effort Shaun! that looks great! Any tips on mounting the Cascu bumpers? How much work was required to fit the Suzuki lights??

I found there is very little on the front bumper removal on the net, other than the now costly whole nine yards 1300 look.

Instead of putting those plastic covers over the ends would it be plausible to trim them back, weld in a captive nut for a tow hook to bolt into?
The 'bumperettes' I have fitted are on the removable bumper brackets. They could be trimmed back retaining the bumperette thing on the end but would leave the nose exposed if you drove into a wall say? In any minor shunt the nose would be wrecked anyway.... So they may as well be gone...

A toe eye would be useful if the points under the bumper mounts were removed.

Last edited:
thanks Shaun - I hadn't seen those instruction on the xweb wiki.

Riccardo Borja is very good at fabrication.
Look at the HUGE garage in the background - WANT!!!
Moco0502068ap.jpg

Regarding the suzuki SJ 410 lights - no cutting at all??? did you drill any holes? I will have to get some.

Back