Technical starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical starting problem

andrew t

hello everyone!

when i go to start the x19, as i turn the key all i hear is a click, and i can keep doing it and it clicks just once. if i hold the key in the start position then it very slowly turns and starts right away. i know there is a wiring problem somewhere in the wiring harness that's on the steering wheel. any ideas? also when i shook all the wires it changed the way it started, very weird. i did a full tune up and fully charged battery so really don't get why its doing this!:bang:

Sounds like a flat battery caused by a power drain somewhere. Take your interior light bulbs out as they're usually a route cause.

i dont think its that, i think its a problem with the ignition itself, i know for fact when my battery is low on power the starter still worked but turns over very slowly, right now all i hear is a 1 second click.

Have you tried cleaning the earths or adding an improved earth strap to the engine? I have fitted a new earth strap and it transformed the performance of the starter motor completely. I also used to get just click when the car was hot while it was always fine cold.

There is an earth strap across the dog bone engine mount at the top and also one going from the body to the gearbox mount at the back of the car. This one had a seized bolt on mine which snapped. If these are both corroded at their connections then I have read that the accelerator cable becomes the only earth connection left.

Back