Technical 131mirafiori

Currently reading:
Technical 131mirafiori

JACLAB

Should one fit a turbo 2l 16 valve mirafiori engine in a 1985 model X19?
Is so, what gearbox? And any structural modifications/reinforcements?
I happily owned a 1978 1500cc model and would love to experience the 131 engine, but what are the risks?

I've never known the 131 to have a turbo. If you're on about fitting a turbo to a Mirafiori you'd need to lower the compression first and that can be an arse of a job. Probably better off getting an engine that is already turbo or supercharged. Beta Volume-X or Delta Hf turbo conversions are fairly straight forward and the Uno turbo conversion is tried and tested.

Using a 1500 head on a 1300 block will lower compression enough to fit a BMW MINI Eaton supercharger with a decent carb' as a draw through set up it's the most simple way to get your X1/9 boosted.

Sounds like a good project and something my car may be headed towards sometime. Be sure to let us know how you get along. :)

I've never known the 131 to have a turbo. If you're on about fitting a turbo to a Mirafiori you'd need to lower the compression first and that can be an arse of a job. Probably better off getting an engine that is already turbo or supercharged. Beta Volume-X or Delta Hf turbo conversions are fairly straight forward and the Uno turbo conversion is tried and tested.

Using a 1500 head on a 1300 block will lower compression enough to fit a BMW MINI Eaton supercharger with a decent carb' as a draw through set up it's the most simple way to get your X1/9 boosted.

Sounds like a good project and something my car may be headed towards sometime. Be sure to let us know how you get along. :)

The 131 Abarth Volumetrico had a supercharger - I guess that's what the OP means? :idea:

I think this is one of those occasions where no matter how cool the result could be it wouldn't be worth sacrificing a bloody good car for.

I wouldn't contemplate using a 131 as a donor unless the car is literally held together by the paint.

I think this is one of those occasions where no matter how cool the result could be it wouldn't be worth sacrificing a bloody good car for.

I wouldn't contemplate using a 131 as a donor unless the car is literally held together by the paint.

Agreed. I wouldn't even then!

A restored 131 Sport or Volumetrico could be worth £15k - not to me, I'd rather buy 1/2 a dozen Classic Panda 4x4's or some original X1/9's come to that ;)

Back