General Fuel injection vs carbs

Currently reading:
General Fuel injection vs carbs

XtremeCookiez

I have a fuel injected x19, but I couldn't find any tuning options for the ecu and I don't really want to hook up a new ecu. So I was wondering if anyone has converted fuel injection to carbs. I know fuel injection is supposed to be better, but I like the idea of being able to tune the car myself. Because I know after doing engine mods your supposed to adjust the fueling to suit the new mods, and I don't want to pay a technician to remap my ecu after doing anything to the engine. Also, provided everything else is kept stock, would a good carb setup provide more power than the stock fuel injection?

So, I think I want carbs, because fuel injection is the devil. So to convert a fuel injected car to carbs, can I just swap the manifold and then add a carburetor (or two). I've heard that on some other cars you have to change the fuel pump, is this true on the x1/9?

Depending on the carb', number of carb's and fuel pressure. A single carb' only needs 4-5psi but due to the length of the pick up pipe you need a pump with at least a 100cm draw. A good solid state pump and regulator will do the trick.

Having said that why only one or two? The four channel inlet lends itself nicely to a quartet of bike carb's.

A nice set of Mikuni 32 or 34mm flat sides (CBR600 or ZXR600) will give you much better fueling for less money than a pair of Weber 45's ever could.

There's a nice write up on the Guy Croft forum...

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2161

I never thought about using bike carbs, but that sounds like a great idea. Would the bike carbs then need 16-20 psi because there are four? Or do bike carbs need less pressure? And just wondering, what would happen if I used a regulator with the stock fuel pump?

I thought the Bosch FI ECU's learnt its parameters itself if you changed the cam for example? Surely this is easier than tuning twin carbs ?

For me, a future of rising fuel prices and the cost of carbs as well as the hassle of getting and keeping them balanced puts me off. BUT I'm from the fuel injection generation...

Purf, I don't know anything about the x19's FI system. However, I do know that some other cars need their ecus tuned after doing most engine mods. In those cars, you could put in new cams but it wouldn't run perfectly. From what I understand, most ecus can adjust to somewhere around 10% of the fuel but anything beyond that and you have to get a new ecu. I'm also from the fuel injection generation, but there's something in me that just want to play with carbs. Ever since I saw my uncle pull my grandpa's mga out of the garage and tune it to perfection I've wanted to be able to do the same thing to my car.

Liquid Knight, thanks for the links but I was kind of thinking about going down the bike carb route. I found these:
"http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-88-Suzuki-gsxr-1100-Mikuni-carburetors-gsx-r-carbs-34mm-/331286703360?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2239ed00&vxp=mtr"

Now if the ecu really can adjust itself to any mods I throw at it, I'll probably keep that. But at the same time, the quad bike carbs are still tempting me.

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert but the US X1/9 fuel injection setup is an early one. I think it runs fuel and ignition sepperately. There is loads of info on xwebforums.com as 'we' never had FI X1/9s in the UK/(europe?).

I was referring to later ecu's, the Bosch Motronic was fitted to later applications of the sohc engine.

Back