Technical 1300 Engine Problem!!!

Currently reading:
Technical 1300 Engine Problem!!!

damons

Hi all, I need some urgent advice regards to my 1300 which broke down recently.
Whilst driving at low speed and just about to change down a gear the engine died (estimated speed at the time was about 10mph). When the engine died there was a metallic/ tin sort of sound however this maybe normal for the fact I was changing gear at the time?
I managed to restart the car and limp the car in gear further up the road, however the car would not rev once started as I only managed to get the car on full throttle to about 1000rpm only.
Once I got the car back home after being trailered, I checked the car over. I could only turn the crank over part way before there was something locking the engine. I discovered that the timing had jumped out of alignment and that the recently replaced timing belt was slightly loose. The belt was frayed in places with some of the teeth slightly rounded. I decided to take the belt off and reset timing marks and readjusted the static timing with the same belt. The car now runs smoothly. I also checked compression levels as I thought that if the timing had slipped then surely valves would have bent. Compression levels were 11.5, 11.5, 11 and 11.5 for all cylinders. The top end cam area sounds slightly noisy however I always thought valve clearances were needed to be checked. Starting from cylinder 1 these were .021, .018, .017, .017, .018, .014, .015, .023.
Now I want to ask you guys why the cambelt jumped and why the engine still runs after I've corrected the timing as I thought the valves would have bent. I'm frightened that the car might just stop again whilst driving and cause the same problem.

You may have a problem with one or more of the cam lobes. I came across this recently and every now and then it would jump the timing, Worn lobe was the cause! It would always jump about 3 teeth. Did yours just jump cam timing or was distributor out as well?

Check the timing belt tensioner bearing, does it spin freely?
Did the tensioner bar in the engine mounting move freely?
Was the plastic timing belt cover fitted? Could something have got flung into the belt?

Last edited:
The cambelt tensioner is new as well as the belt. The tension was spot on and there was a cover fitted.

When I retimed the engine I tried placing the aux shaft (dizzy pulley) where I thought it should be aligning with cylinder 4 on the dizzy body however car wouldn't start as it was backfiring/ popping. I readjusted timing through the dizzy and it started straight away.

I have recently driven the car a lot so I hope camshaft lobes aren't worn however the camshaft looks ok to me visually.

Last edited:
Hello i,am new here i live in the Netherlands

we had this problem also ,there some cracks in the camwiel
this was then out off balance en the belt turned over
you cant see it when de engine is not turning arround
it cost me two valves , i replaced it by a metal one from a 1500
so this wont happen again

greetings from Holland sorry for my english...Rita

Last edited:
Back