General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

Just messing about making end bits...

91GNiISq.jpg

...good for me to work with but I need a bit of practice before I supply others.

I'm having to make it in sections as I only have a 48cm bender.

sill looks good.

Howmanyleft.com reports 5 fiat Croma CHT's left this year - that'll now be 4 going by the description...

Cheap engine and gearbox, but major steel removal on the X1/9 required...

I don't know of any mass car manufacturer that uses copper brake pipes? My Cinq sporting had one rust badly after about 11 years of service...

The clip shows the engine bay at 1.30 but I don't like upright engines as much they contribute to body roll. The injection stuff would be binned in favor of a quartet of bike carb's. ;)

The rust doesn't look that bad and the Croma would make a decent tow car.

Hmmmmm....

It's been a little quiet on the X1/9 pages. I've been doing day shifts waiting for the Payday Fairies to visit so I can buy new a new clutch line. That should have been delivered yesterday but the weather is a torrent today so I'm not overly concerned about not crawling around under the car. It looks as if the line goes inside the car so I guess I'll have to pull the interior out completely to get to it anyway. :bang:

Running an X1/9 as a daily is definitely a bitter sweet experience...

Would it be possible to fit a union on the remaining pipe in the engine bay and extend its life - or is it too far gone? Best to do a proper job I guess...

Does it take a similar route to the speedo and throttle cable through the centre tunnel?

Last edited:
The MOT ran out on the 10th for some reason I thought it was the 20th. So daily sat on my drive rather than daily drive. ;)

Now I have to decide. MOT my Panda or X1/9?

Hmmmmm...

That didn't go according to plan.

I wanted to get the clutch line replaced today but first I had a twenty minute job to do on my dads car...

...that took seven hours.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Hmmmmm....

That didn't go according to plan.

I was hoping to get the clutch line done today but the part arrived for (my sisters) bad Penny Punto. While I was in town getting 3Dot clutch fluid for my car I thought as the weather was nice I'd let the rabbit out in his run.

About an hour later one of the neighborhood hellions tried to pet/steal the aforementioned bunny, he scratched the the darling and ran off. A hour later he was recovered from my neighbors hedge and I was running out of daylight, patience and had bits of conifer in places politicians pay extra for.

Back to work tomorrow so the next opportunity will be transition day Monday. :(

Any progress with your clutch & MOT? Mine managed to get through first time! OMG!

But its not been driven since as I'm fitting the vw radiator. Which has still not arrived...

During an insomnia session I bought a Golf, sold it for a profit and bought an Alfa GTV as Winter runner so I can work on the X1/9 and Fantasia instead of rushing it.

The clutch pipe arrived when the weather turned and blew the gazebo across the garden.

I've made and sold a couple of sill ends and need a longer bender to make the whole panel.

The lack of updates is due to a lack of stuff to update. Bought, fixed and sold a Golf so I could get a rather nice Alfa GTV to use as a winter runner. Home stuff, work stuff and family stuff with added lack of motivation have demoted the X1/9 and Panda rather expensive garden gnomes.

This has to end soon as I have some exciting news and the X1/9 may become something more than a restoration. ;)

In eight months time my X1/9 and I may be taking part in the 2015 UK Powertour. I've sent the holiday request already. ;)

Now if that Uno Turbo lump in the classifieds is any good I may sell my spare head and 1500 engine for it.

The original 1500 head from my car. Just had the sheared 'stat housing studs extracted. I was going to polish the ports and valves. ;)

To the same standard as the new head.

The original head finally returned home and I'm £40 lighter.

5i58ZxDj.jpg

Studs extracted and replaced with helicoils. ;)

01GHXWJJ.jpg

The ports are pretty clean already so polishing will be fairly straight forward.

UOPaG3ui.jpg

As the head gasket hadn't failed the surface shouldn't need skimming either.

I maybe too optimistic though. The ninety degree knuckle the other end of the head (that also sheered off) was held in with Tiger Seal (surprise, surprise) and by the time I pulled it out and cleaned it there is absolutely no thread whatsoever. :rolleyes:

GyuK1LGZ.jpg

I could size up, bore and tap but it could make fitting the hose an issue.

If its good to go would you want to trade it for something

That'd be a bigger "If" than anticipated. :bang:

I'm not sure where the elbow bit is your referring to - but could you fit a helicoil to that too? Part of the thermostat?

Sounds like you got a deal, I just paid £55 to have the remains of one of the cam housing bolts removed...

Back