General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-X19-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233f98146f

-30mm? Is that all?

Hmmmm...

...I wonder. :rolleyes:

b9xX6Nl5.jpg

-60mm is a bit excessive. ;)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Good to have that timing sorted! Nice air filter. I want to lower mine too... I think the springs are cheaper on eurosport site?

I will maybe after mot, mine is in November...

Last edited:
The payday fairies visit Monday so I have no money but a little bit of time to spend with my car today.

Before all you wannabe "Mythbusters" set fire to the internet to tell me...

RM5d911Z.jpg

Troll said:
That cold air induction pipe won't make any difference. FAIL!!! BAM!!! :rolleyes:

...it does. I'm using it to fill the gap left behind after removing the colling fan.

So I have put a hundred or so miles on the now working tachometer and there are no signs of any new or old leaks. :)

Time to clean...

RLvOf8kc.jpg

...the rusty water marks from my engine bay and gearbox.

As I have no money I'm using some cleaning fluid from the parts bath at work in an old trigger bottle and washing up brush.

ypeQ3kqH.jpg

Impressive eh?

K2f3VV0Z.jpg

P.S...

vYJPtMp3.jpg

I'm never using "Wonda-wheels" or "Muck Off" again.

yRKhFSnW.jpg

:slayer:

I have noticed just how crap the paint job is on the wheels.

While I'm getting those blasted I have a shed full of Uno Turbo, Strada Abarth, Punto GT, Punto Sporting and Fiorino wheels to experimnt with. ;)

Shell V-Max Nitro boils in my carb' when I park up. So unless I'm stopped for half an hour or more I'm stuck.

Just as well the battery is nearly new. ;)

A quick MS Paint session...

Strada Abarth...

eqt32z8w.jpg

...and of course my Guff Racing Clown Shoe wheels.

w9O1klVE.jpg

I guess I could paint the car blue and have "Jaffa Cake" decals made up. ;)

So I can get to the petrol station to dilute the 98ron so hopefully it doesn't boil away in my carb'...

10608722_10202736569242338_2433667651780657380_o.jpg

...I've refitted the cooling fan and used Duct-Tape on a duct? :nutter:

I have also wired up the side lights in the new headlights as the X1/9 doesn't appear to have a dim dip.

Why do the headlights pop up when you have side lights on?

50/50 mix of Shell 95 and Nitro+ (98) has worked a little. It only took a few minutes to start this time. I'll get some exhaust wrap for when I get the new back box. ;)

Exhaust wrap arrived today and I won a NOS sill panel. :slayer:

I'll make a cardboard template so I can fabricate one for the other side and have the pattern handy if anyone else needs one. :)

Is the hgt engine the same 128 block???
Silver wheels do suit it best...

Mine used to get hard to start when hot, although I think it was a bad earth??? Which only occurred when u switched off when hot? Or was this vapor lock from hot fuel I had? It did pass after a few mins. I found the rear death strap from gearbox to shell was rusty and the bolt snapped when I tried to sort it out. So I now have a scenic battery negative cable fitted with two connections to the engine and one to the body as well as the upper engine mount strap.

The FI engine has not had the hot start issue at all, I guess new earth straps, starter and engine sorted my problem :)

I don't get the headlights either? Maybe they were just meant to look cool?.. i was thinking it would be nice to run with side lights and the headlights down. Perhaps it was to avoid drawing too much current? Motors and headlights at the same moment???

Have you noticed they fold down if you turn the ignition off slowly? Took me a while to notice.

Last edited:
Doing a spot of pre-festivities wrapping today.

BBdt67ND.jpg

Exhaust wrap and ties from eBay.

jEgeqxIw.jpg

Cut a few slits in the packaging and leave in a bucket of water while you strip the carb' and inlet manifold out of the way.

iC518kZH.jpg

Plan your route and make sure you do a little at a time trying the inlet manifold between sections to make sure you have clearance.

e0iKqQ5U.jpg

Reassemble and let the engine run until the water in the wrap stops steaming before you take the car out anywhere.

pw6mdTK3.jpg

Manifold gaskets are very tolerant to this sort of thing while they are new. I tend to add a couple of lbs to the torque setting every time until it's too much and I need to replace it again.

Some will probably wonder why not take the exhaust off and do it on a bench. If the engine was cross flow I would have but because I needed to make sure the inlet manifold would go back on it had to remain in place.

Why wet the wrap? Newer ones and the expensive Titanium weave stuff doesn't need to be damp but that's how I've always done it and find the wrap more malleable when wet.

Why do it in the first place? I've fitted unleaded valves to the head while it was off so I don't have to use the lead additive stuff. This means the fuel burns hotter as it has a higher calorific value and has a lower evaporation/boiling/flash point. First time out the car was fine but when I did a bit of a run and needed to head off again after a short stop the fuel was boiling in the carb' float chamber. To compensate for this I've insulated the exhaust manifold to hopefully reduce the amount of heat transfer from the exhaust to inlet manifold. If this doesn't work I'll look at either a better heat shield or cooling system for it.

Last edited:
So after the wrap stopped steaming I noticed more whiter steam.

I said:
Bugger I have a fuel leak.

It looked to have been coming from the brass bolt that holds the car'b filter near the fuel in and out pipes.

So I took the carb' off again, too the brass bolt out with a 19mm socket, cleaned bolt and filter and put it back together. Refitted the carb'. Nope still leaked but this time it was obvious it was the in pipe. Trimmed the end off and refitted it with a new jubilee clip and it was sorted. It must have squirted along the surface of the brass bolt the first time.

So ten minutes taking the carb' off cleaning the bolt and putting back on for a nipped pipe?

;)

I was going to take the X1/9 to work tonight (so I can take advantage of the high pressure hoses and give the old girl a decent shampoo) but I hav no clutch fluid. :bang:

No indication of where it has leaked from or to either so I guess my next three days off are spoken for.

Oh man!

Is the carpet wet?

My clutch slave went and it was obvious... it even made a damp patch under the car.

At least it didn't let go whilst on a drive...

To make u feel better, my coolant pipes under the car are leaking. I hope its the heater pipe...

Last edited:
Just did a slave on my Punto. :bang:
Trying to sell it to get my Fantasia back on the road. Found a master and slave kit for £45 so if it's not the copper or flexipipe it won't be that expensive. Finding Dot3 could be the tricky part.

I'm looking forward to my radiator pipes going. I have some stainless dairy pipe and some bends to TIG. I'll change the profile to accommodate the RS500 alloy radiator I found before. ;)

Back