General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

Eesh, impressive! First drive in the MX5 after it was restored I did something similar - left the security bit on one of the wheels - made it 6 miles at 70 before I realised!

Just currently re-wiring the front end. All sorted except the side lights. There are small holes in the glass headlamps - are these the sidelights? But there are 5W sidelight bits that go with the indicators at the front... Eh???

All sorted - New bulbs all round, so much brighter than before!

Finally driven it about a mile, utterly incredible! Steering is so light and precise, carbs are awful but after about 5 seconds they start to work and the thing shoots off like a rocket!

Attachments

• DSC_1701.JPG
    DSC_1701.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1703.JPG
    DSC_1703.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1704.JPG
    DSC_1704.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1705.JPG
    DSC_1705.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1706.JPG
    DSC_1706.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1707.JPG
    DSC_1707.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Looking good! They are great to drive. It's easy to take the handling for granted after a bit of use. Until you get into a front wheel drive car again ☺

Colour looks great! Bring on the gold wheels!

New alternator in! Worked very briefly... Something to sort tomorrow

I have a serious insurance problem at the moment. I can't get a reasonable quote, and that is pretty problematic.

Any pointers anyone??

I'll keep looking ?

Just been doing bodywork really, slow but coming along...

Very bad though - the gearbox is pretty sad. Wouldn't go into gear so I took off the 5th gear cover... And the 5-R selector rod FELL OUT. I mean how????

So it's now going to get sent away to be properly rebuilt as there was a lot of metallic particles in the oil, despite having moved about a mile

The gearboxes are weak and it is best to get it rebuilt anyway. The third gear syncro will need replacing almost guaranteed. If it had worked at first it would have needed rebuilding eventually so best get it over and done with...

Bit of a set back but at least its getting sorted.

Had you fitted a new clutch and release bearing?

Last edited:
Still waiting on the gearbox. Apparently 2nd syncro is f***** and they were utterly amazed it changed gear. Possibly has shot diff bearings too. With sort that tomorrow...

Got a new clutch cover whilst I'm at it and I'll probably sort a new clutch plate. The flywheel face is horrible, the plate got stuck and seized so it didn't do any favours.

Clutch also failed on that MG so the garage is full of gearboxes, A series engine, flywheels, oil etc

You're telling me :-D

It's going good, new three piece clutch in and resurfaced flywheel. Was tempted to lighten it but I think the engine has enough mods for now...

Also mounted all the bumpers, painted two of them and need to do the other pair.

Gearbox parts stuck in customs! Can't believe it :-(

Quick question - How do you adjust the doors? The driver door hangs two inches down at the rear but looks okay at the front. I've tried moving it on the hinges but that does actually nothing.

Attachments

• DSC_1713.JPG
    DSC_1713.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1714.JPG
    DSC_1714.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Sorry for the lack of updates! Thought I'd do a decent one once it's done... Just waiting for the windscreen to go in then it'll be MOT'd :-D

Shame about yours Jeremy, have you got anywhere with it?

Small things, how's the rest of it doing?

MOT is booked for Thursday! All being well, it'll do its first journey to the lakes the day after (running in gently of course)

Fingers crossed!

Back