General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

Got the VW Rad installed but not plumbed yet. Also built the rear suspension and tried on the gold wheels - I think they look the part!

Also arrived is a bumper set from CASCU - It would appear I ordered them a couple months back. How has anyone gone about mounting them to the car?

Have you seen this thread?

http://xwebforums.org/showthread.php?t=19361

I have not got the bumpers yet...maybe Xmas???

The thread above shows fitting the original steel bumpers. I have been thinking that putting stainless coach bolts through the fiberglass might be an easy way to mount them onto home made brackets? A lot of cars of the era had chrome bumpers bolted on like this - MGB's for example had blind bolt heads showing iirc.

Do they have any mounting points? I dont think they will do.

Have you seen this thread?

http://xwebforums.org/showthread.php?t=19361

I have not got the bumpers yet...maybe Xmas???

The thread above shows fitting the original steel bumpers. I have been thinking that putting stainless coach bolts through the fiberglass might be an easy way to mount them onto home made brackets? A lot of cars of the era had chrome bumpers bolted on like this - MGB's for example had blind bolt heads showing iirc.

Do they have any mounting points? I dont think they will do.

There are those small in the nose cone? I think that might work, though I'll have to save that for a later date as something much more urgent has cropped up:

HUGE water leak from the front side of the engine. Either from the cover plate where the belt tensioner bolts onto or between the cylinder head and deck. Is this a common problem?

I've already then down the top half of the engine bar the head, so I'll get the cover off, use some sealant stuff and properly tighten it down.

Couple of other minor leaks but that's all pipework fortunately

I wouldn't use the little holes as the slightest knock would wreck the nose. The opposite of a bumpers purpose ☺

I think you will be doing some fabrication work.

Perhaps if there is some steel inside the fibreglass then it would beef then up a bit.

Damn water cooled engines! ?. I imagine your just filling up the coolant? Not running the engine? I guess you mean the front as in towards the front of the car?

It shouldn't be possible for any water to leak above the head gasket on that side of the engine?

Any debris stopping the head from seating correctly?

...oh yeah ? Fab work it may be then...

I actually mean front as in pulley side, right at the edge of the deck where the mount it is, it was properly gushing out.

Im pretty sure it's not a cracked head as it was fine when I took it off the car and the machine shop didn't pick up on anything dodgy.

Solved!

Used the wrong gasket for the cover plate, so it left a mahussive gap for the water to gush out.

Got the right gasket in now... That should solve the problem I hope.

Attachments

• DSC_1670.JPG
    DSC_1670.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1671.JPG
    DSC_1671.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
Clearly to annoy everyone doing this work...

Thought I'd try and start it this eve: Pump worked, no fuel leaks and the starter worked (dead solenoid though, but that might be due to my wiring again)

Main issue though is no spark. I think there could be an issue between the breaker and the coil. Defo got voltage across the coil and I think the rest should be okay.

Fingers crossed!

Any luck with it? Roll on the weekend!

Well there is a spark, but still no action. Carbs are leaking out the accelerator pumps so I need to rebuild those.

I suspect because it's all been honed and new seals, it's probably quite tight for the starter to spin over. Worth trying starter fluid just for the first time so it'll loosen up?

The covers are there as a result of the block casting process. For later engines those covers have been reduced to just small core plugs.

There's a cover at each end, looks like you just got the gaskets mixed up!

Well the leaks are sorted and it fired up!

Two days of tuning though hasn't been very fruitful. Currently takes an age to get back to idle then it stalls straight away. My suspicion is that it's stuck on the progression circuit not idle.

Anyone know anything more about them? I've checked the jets and chokes, they're all very close to what a 1600 pinto would be tuned to. So I think they're okay?

is there a good website or book on setting up twin Weber/Delorto carbs? whatever you've got?

That's where I'd start - I have no idea sorry

Hmm... There is, but everywhere just says it's all temporary, apparently they've got to be done on a rolling road if it's to be done proper.

So I'll tow it hopefully Saturday to the only one in Sheffield that will set up carbs.

My 1st "proper" post in here.., :)

had a bit of an issue with occasional rainwater ingress in the "nose-cone" discovered the front Bertone badge wasn't actually stuck in properly.., that's now tight.. but after HEAVY'ish rain it's still getting in.., :eek:
anybody had similar??:confused:
I've now put kitchen towel in the obvious routes.. , and hope to find out at least some of it's secrets.. !! :rolleyes:
Charlie

New (used) seat in, actually surprisingly comfy but really low, no bad thing!

Waiting for a set of brake lines to be made then it'll be off to the rolling road - it's getting closer!

And that numberplate proves it's the same car I hope ?

Attachments

• DSC_1681.JPG
    DSC_1681.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1682.JPG
    DSC_1682.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1683.JPG
    DSC_1683.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1684.JPG
    DSC_1684.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
Is that seat temporary to get to the rolling road? I guess they will use a gas analyser or something to get the mixture right?

Looks like its coming together.

Are you getting a square number plate or using the original one?

Iv never noticed any water in the frunk area? It mainly comes in through the doors on mine... make sure you have the polythene fitted behind the door cards everyone!

Back