General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

Looking good. Nice big garage. I always get that milky thing with lacquer??

Filled with MG Midget now, so space is tricky again...

Well it's coming up okay, so I'll assume that's normal... It'll be bloody ages though!

And I've got half an engine - Using 75mm trumpets which is quite long, I'm hoping it'll help low down torque. Just wondering how I'm going to fit them into the engine bay/boot.

Attachments

• DSC_1637.JPG
    DSC_1637.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 33
Think you might be using the rear luggage area for those carbs? Why not though... stuff will only knock about in there and get hot. Maybe you can enlarge the access panel?

Got plenty of wet n dry paper? Do screw fix sell it cheap?

Looks even better now! All the ancillaries cleaned up really nice. I'll get a pic soon.

Just been building the new fuel system as it's quite different from the old stuff.

Yep, I'll cut a panel out to just fit the trumpets and fashion a bracket in the boot so it's got space to breathe.

Ooh the sanding is crap, but yes, I have the suppliers on quickdial :-D

Anyone got a 1300 bumper set? Tried CASCU but they're not coming up trumps. If not I'll just go bunperless.

You will be lucky to find 1300 bumpers. There was a set on eBay but including lots if other 1300 bits for £565 which is not too bad for all of it... but they are chrome lido bumpers.

Are Cascu still selling them?

The seller on eBay seems to have stopped advertising but might still be selling them if you can contact them.

I would encourage some protection even if it is fiberglass. After all your hard work... wouldn't want a bmw driver to ram into you!...

Last edited:
Yeah you're right, it's probably worth it. I'll track down a set, but 500 quid is definitely a bit steep seeing as CASCU sell them for 60...

Carried on building the engine. Cam, cam bearings and tensioner bearing are all fairly past it. I'll get a Piper Cam at some point with a new bearing set but I'll live with the crap ones at the moment.

So now I need to sand the engine bay, shoe-horn the engine back in then it'll be well on the way to a proper car!

Attachments

• DSC_1645.JPG
    DSC_1645.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1646.JPG
    DSC_1646.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1647.JPG
    DSC_1647.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1648.JPG
    DSC_1648.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
Cascu are still selling the 1300 bumpers price has gone up recently though as he had to make a new mold, I believe price is now £90, He is supposed to be making a batch in October so hopefully I will have a set arriving soon after.
Drop him an email to put yourself on the waiting list if interested.

Well I always preferred the mechanical side... Mounts are shot though, I'll replace one at a time so it doesn't have to come back out!

Attachments

• DSC_1649.JPG
    DSC_1649.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1650.JPG
    DSC_1650.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1651.JPG
    DSC_1651.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1652.JPG
    DSC_1652.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
Its in! Well done

I can't help noticing the swirly pattern on the cam pulley ?☺

What are you doing Inside the wheel arches? Red oxide and Stone chip perhaps?

Oh yeah, thought that would be a laugh ?

I have a huge tin of underseal, so I just figured that would work? I'll waxoyl all the inside bits soon..

Carbs are in! Pics tomorrow... Not even a cm gap between the top of the carb and that support member. Will have to cut a bit out of the support to fit the HUGE trumpets I've gone for.

Just quickly bolted in the gear linkage - Briefly had all 6 gears... Now only will go into 5th. The investigation shall commence tomorrow!

Yeah underseal is ok but perhaps some paint underneath too? Some people dont like underseal as it can start to let water underneath when it gets a few years old. Stone chip paint is good and tough. Waxoyl stays soft which is good... it's personal choice I guess...

Keep an eye on the engine moving when it's under load.

Oh I can already move the engine so the mounts are kinda sad.

(Fun fact - in 15months of owning this X it's moved 100 yards... I'm actually yet to drive it so I'm kinda interested to get this finished)

Anyone tried a fast Road cam by the way? New bearings needed and a new cam also eventually as the current one is worn and pitted. I'm thinking the Piper Ultimate Road Cam - Kinda want a lumpy idle but mainly the power hike is probably a laugh.

And finally - What are my gearbox options in term of improving the current set up?

My pod fillet runs I the cover when driving cos the engine moves a bit. They are designed to move a bit... Italian for engine mount whether translated is 'engine suspensions'.

Whole cam housings are not bad second hand. Fast road would be nice but the 1500 can is apparently the hottest factory cam of all the 128 engines.

What's up with the gearbox? Theres A rubber connection which can be adjusted. Is it tight and in good shape?

In my opinion they are pretty fast in standard form when running well ☺

Might have to look at that. Can the bearings not be replaced separately though?

I've always heard that the boxes are a weak point, just worried that the head work and carb setup might raise the power quite a bit? Would rather not tear the gearbox apart in the newly painted engine bay!

It's just the syncromesh on third which tends to be worn out. Just take your time with the gear changes and it should be fine.

I think the bearing surfaces can be replaced but not sure. Not really worth it as second hand complete cam housings are fairley cheap.

I still have the tipo cam in mine. I should fit an X1/9 1500 cam...

Tight!

Sounds a good plan Jeremy, can you just swap them out?

Gearbox is stuck in 1St or 2nd - no neutral!
So I can't engage any gear but 5th but that then locks it up as two gears are engaged. Can't get to the 1-2 gate as it's stuck. Can I dis-engage the stuck gear without taking it all apart?

Attachments

• DSC_1653.JPG
    DSC_1653.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC_1654.JPG
    DSC_1654.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_1655.JPG
    DSC_1655.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Back