Technical Tempra / tipo 1.6 engine conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Tempra / tipo 1.6 engine conversion

purf

Established member
Im just finishing fitting a 1.6 i.e tempra engine mated to an x1/9 gearbox to my 85 vs. It has bosch motronic injection and ecu with lambda sensor. My gearbox was faulty and clutch had gone. Found this engine and gearbox at a good price and went for it. Clutch is lovely and light but...

I'm now totally stuck. I have spark, fuel pump 'priming' but the injector is not squirting any fuel so it wont start.

The engine loom is fitted. I am only left with, air con connector from ecu, fuel vapor cut off switch which I have 'bridged' and one connector which joined the tempras internal loom. This is 3 wires. Going by the diagram one of these is a fuse for the lambda but I think this is wrong, one just says internal connection and one I can't recall but doesnt show one the circuit diagram.

From what I understand the 93 tempra didn't have an inertia fuel cut off but some other switch which connects 12v to the ecu. The porter manual calls it an inertia switch on one page and a fuel vapor cut off solenoid on the other (wiring diagram)

Could I have a faulty injector?

Any ideas appreciated

Check the injectors' resistance and fuel pressure before going any further, I would suggest.

Its finally running!

The injector was seized. It gave about 1 Ohm resistance so that showed it was good. So we gradually increased the current with a power supply, switched the polarity and it eventually free'd up and let out a little pressure.

Then it wouldn't idle at all and did the hunting thing, blipping the throttle on its own. So i unplugged the idle comtrol motor and there was no change. Quick strip down of the idle control motor and gave it some juice, reversed the polarity and again it started working. Two hours later it started instantly and purrs nicely.

The throttle body must have been stored for some time in a garden shed or something I guess.

Last job to do is fabricate a decent accelerator cable bracket. Then small jobs are to figure out some induction, fit the x thermostat and tidy the wiring.

Test drive tomorrow

Appreciate the assistance on here and I couldnt have done it without my fantastic dad! Always useful to have an electrical engineer to hand :)

Last edited:
Test drive went well. A few minor teething issues but nothing major. Gearbox and clutch are excellent. Engine sounds related to the original one but a lot smoother. A little tidying of the engine bay needed.

I will adapt the original air filter housing if it fits under the cover. Have cinq 899 bob as backup.

Attachments

• 1404328172804.jpg
    1404328172804.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 92
The throttle cable / accelerator is very 'stiff' and heavy compared to before. Do you think the bend on the cable visible in the photo above is too tight?

Hopefully lubricating the cable will help... unless its something thats come out of place in the foot-well.

If not I will have to re-route the cable and make a 'floating' bracket to connect the outer cables.

I removed one of the accelerator return springs which has made the pedal lighter.

The original X19 and Tempra air cleaner boxes do not fit. I'm sticking with the 899 cinquecento bob. still needs an air cleaner box somewhere though...

Completed over 100 miles with the engine and all seems well. Its very economical, probably getting around 38mpg :) pulls well too.

Back