Technical Yet another headlamp relay mod

Currently reading:
Technical Yet another headlamp relay mod

ppalma

So I finally decided to add a relay to my headlamps.
Got a FIAT relay holder from the local dealer and started disassembling the fuse box, only to grind to a halt almost immediately: removed the multiple connector from the back of the fuse box, located the wire that feeds the headlamps... And cannot remove the terminal from the plastic holder no matter what.
Anyone has experience removing terminals? This one looks like a standard faston 630, but I cannot find the tab that should be holding it in place.:confused:

Any photos? In usually use a very small flat screw driver to release the spade terminals from the plastic?

Sorry, not worth posting the photo. It's a black connector in the dark, against a black background and a bunch of colorful spagheti.

Defeat!

My cunning plan just went down the drain!
After some exploratory surgery to my fusebox I've just concluded that my initial plan is not feasible. The idea was to remove the #2 wire from the connector and plug it to position 85 of the relay, insert a new wire in the #2 position and connect it to 87, run a live wire from the fusebox's juntion box to the relay , ground it and that would be it.
Unfortunately those very standard looking terminals are not standard at all. You need some sort of fork-shaped tool to remove them, and once they're out, they do not plug into the standard FIAT relay holder, and the standard terminals do not fit into the multiple connector...
Plan B is slightly different: cut the wire that goes to #2 position (they're numbered), splice a couple of lengths of wire to both ends, one goes to 85, the other goes to 87.

Nice idea. Your more man than me. I just shoved in the bob brown mini loom... It is a bit untidy to be honest.

Have any of you chaps seen the mod using a new Fiat Panda switch and 4 relays? I bought one from DJ Rally and am hopefully going to get it fitted soon as my switch is capput.
I take it by fitting the four relays, the high and low beam circuits are then protected (am pretty clueless with electrics!) and there is no constant load passing through the ignition switch, column switch and headlight switch meaning they are less likely to fail?

Yes your about right. As I understand it the relays mean only a 'signal' current is required through the switch and stalks to activate the relays which are an electronic switch. The relays then control the current flowing directly from the battery.

I'm not sure why the relays are required with the panda switch? It may be because the switch itself is different or that its not as heavy duty as the original x1/9 switch and therefore the relays are a requirement.

My 85 VS has a relay for main beam from the factory, I'm not sure if earlier cars had this? I followed the guide by bob brown on Xwebforums which is very helpful. http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1157943183/New+headlight+wire+mod+for+all+X19%27s---

I fitted the four relays. I guess this saves the high current going through the fuse box even to the original main beam relay.

The relays I used where from a ford fiesta / focus - very cheap and easy to find in scrap yards etc... then I ordered the relay sockets etc through Amazon. Its a very good improvement to make, my dipped beams where more like candles before!

https://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/344532-headlight-relay-mod.html

I guess you should follow the instructions that came with the panda switch? What do they suggest?

Last edited:
I'm using the "original" relay sockets from FIAT. They're part number
FIAT 12276080 (2,80€), manufactured by mta.it (MTA 3050135 or 4410245). They clip on to each other or to a relay bracket.

Back