Styling Rear end

Currently reading:
Styling Rear end

razmataz09

Hi there, I own a 1986 bertone x19 1500 vs and ive been fiddling with the rear end/bumpers and ive been thinking, if I remove the rear bumper and fill in all the holes that are unwanted.. is there a type of number plate light that I can install? As its built into the bumper bar at the moment, im not a fan of the later bumpers.. thanks alot, Ryan

You could try the original, 1970's number plate lights. I believe they are the same as the FIAT 128's and they bolt each side of the number plate.

Yes, well worth doing to improve the look and reduce that weight hung out at each end.
number plate lamps = Micra series 1 (the origional square one) fit either side of a square number plate. very similar to the x19 1300. Can be bought cheaply. I found a pair of new ones on E bay £6 each. Often see at auto jumbles sold as no plate lamps for trailers.
Regarding the bumper bracket holes I turned the brackets 90 deg pushed them inboard 2 inches redrilled to re fit and fitted rubber over riders on them, again from E bay at about a fiver each. I think the ones I have were origionally buffers for drop down ramps on a horse box.
Hope this helps.

Great suggestion re the over riders.

I have just last week removed the rear bumper on my 86. I didn't want to drill holes so Iv got a tiny motorcycle number plate light which I have attached with 3m tape over the existing large hole that the wiring goes through. It covers the hole and shines upwards. It's led which doesn't fit with the era of the car IMO so I plan on applying some yellow tint film over the lens. Something I haven't done yet. I'm also fitting a 'square' type number plate so it should be sufficient.

1403729472408.jpg
Sorry not a great photo...

I'm not going to make my car into a 1300 lookalike, mainly as it's a two tone vs, so im not bothered it's not exactly like an earlier car. I want to be able to return it to original spec if necessary.

Regarding the bumper bracket holes I turned the brackets 90 deg pushed them inboard 2 inches redrilled to re fit and fitted rubber over riders on them, again from E bay at about a fiver each. I think the ones I have were origionally buffers for drop down ramps on a horse box.
Hope this helps.

They all seem to have holes in them on Ebay? Can you point me in the right direction? I like this idea!

Ok cool, I guess with some stainless bolts they would look ok. I will try this out. I've also been looking at Capri over riders but they are a little more expensive... Need to get mine running first anyway!

Last edited:
I've had another idea too, land rover series bump stops? They have a steel plate on the back which could be removed, then large self tappers used to secure them into the back

Bump stops from land rover series 2/3. Cost me £16 delivered for 4.

They look like over-riders from a distance?

The rubber finish isn't quite as smooth as I remember seeing in the past, they could be painted I guess, with plastic primer first to improve the appearance.

I plan to cut off the brackets and use self taping bolts into the steel plate on the back. Attached through the bumper brackets.

Bit of an experiment really. Will report on how it goes.

Attachments

• 1404503934906.jpg
    1404503934906.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Any comments? only made one so far

Attachments

• 1404641052959.jpg
    1404641052959.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Looks much better from a distance. I've modified the rear bumper 'outriggers' and rotated as suggested. I have left the fronts as is, due to the nose comes shape protruding forward, if I set them back they would be pointless.

The bump stops are the prefect size to fit the outriggers. Painted them all satin black so they look smart. Total cost £16 :)

Going to order a front valence tomorrow

Attachments

• 1404773198388.jpg
    1404773198388.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1404773222295.jpg
    1404773222295.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back