General Help with headlight problem PLEASE!!

Currently reading:
General Help with headlight problem PLEASE!!

neilbsg

Hi, I'm new to the site, been visiting for a while and found it very helpful and informative. I hope someone may be able to offer some advice on a problem with my x1/9 (1988) headlights.
Last June I was checking car prior to MOT when I realised the dipped beam and main beams were not working, but the main beam flash was (never use car at night or bad weather!). I have cleaned up and checked the connectors/earths, tried changing the light slider switch, fitted a brand new ignition switch and a brand new column switch and its still the same. Am I missing something obvious?
banghead.gif

I don't want another year to pass by without being able to MOT and use the car!

Main beam flash by-passes the main switch and possibly any relays, so gives a clue that the main switch or relays may be the problem.

Have you checked that both bulbs work on both filaments. Best to start simple.

IIRC, these are pop-ups. If they delay lighting up until fully up, check for any switch that signals this.

Then you just need to check the circuit logically.
At the main switch, is there a 12v feed?
No, trace back to find where it is supposed to come from and find where any break is.
Yes, turn switch on and check output.
No output, need a new switch.
Output ok, follow to column switch and check current arrives.
Check output of column switch, both dip and main.
Does it go direct to the lamps, or via relays or the lift motors.
Follow this logically and check the earth connections too.

After much swearing, you should find an answer.

I'd start with checking earths inside the headlight access hatch mounted to the body.

I don't think dipped beam has a relay? Which is why people install the headlight relay mod. If they pop up i'd say the earth to the fuse/relay board is good. As this is a problem i'v had.

The lights should be on before the pods fully rise so the circuit is simple in this respect with no additional switch (lights will usually come on if your motors fail) . That's why there is a large current draw when the motors are lifting.

Also are the loom connectors which hook up to the new switch parts you fitted ok? Look for charred plastic / melted / dirty contacts. I think the wiring for the headlights overloads the circuit which is why the dipped beam stalk and switch so commonly fail...

My stalk gets stuck sometimes when I dip my lights from main beam so I have no lights for a second until I give it a wiggle... I suspect the contacts are worn on my stalks? This is after relieving circuit by installing extra relays and probably caused by the old wiring being overloaded.

If you have used second hand stalks they might have the same problem as your old ones?

Thanks for the suggestions, I've checked and cleaned all the earths inside the headlight pods and the ignition switch and column switches are brand new, so they cannot be the problem. The connector blocks to which these attach are all fine with no signs of overheating, and the headlight slider switch was working on another car (but could still possibly be the culprit)
I was just wondering if there was something obvious I was missing, but it sounds like I'm going to have to get an auto-electrician to have a look as I'm losing the will to live now. I was going to purchase a Fiat Panda headlight switch from DG rally which requires some more relays to be fitted and comes with full instructions, so will probably do this too.

Hi,
I've been looking at the wiring diagram for a while now, and here's my tip: the main beam on the X1/9 is relayed, but not the dipped beam, which is fed through the slider switch and the column switch.
Since the main beam flash was operational, it follows that the relay was operational, and the first stage of the slider switch was operational, since it powers the parking lights and the main beam flash.
I would therefore conclude that the second stage of the slider switch is faulty, since this would explain the missing main and dipped beam.
Check the resistance (ohm) of the slider in all positions. I believe there are two live, input wires coming from the ignition switch, and four output wires.
Hope this helps!

Thanks PPalma, that was something I was thinking could be the problem. I'm going to buy a new Fiat Panda swithch from DGrally and see if that helps!

Hi, I have a 1986 parts car with a slide switch on it, I can test it to make sure it works if your interested?

Back