Technical Cooling Steam

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling Steam

JimmyJam

Hi All. The other day started up the X and i was getting what looked like smoke more like steam coming out if gear knob/shifter area; when i looked under the car there was what looked like hot steam drifting around the cooling pipes where the rubber hoses join. Do you think it a matter of a lose hose. Its just hard to see where its coming from. Thanks in advance. Its coming from the middle rear near engine end.

Does it smell of coolant? I had this happen a few (10?) years ago. There was always a bit of steam hanging around and a persistent smell of coolant. Then one they it just blew up and there was steam all over.
First thought was "why don't I have a fire extinguisher". Then I realized it was just a lot of steam, and eventually I figured out that the coolant pipe that leads to the heater core had rusted through and blown. The easy fix is just to cut and block the hoses that come out of the engine to the heater. Replacing the pipes is near impossible, so it's better to give up on the heater.

If its a loose hose check the jubilee clips are tight. Use a spanner rather than a screwdriver to get more leverage.

Back