General Anyone driven to Turin?

Currently reading:
General Anyone driven to Turin?

GGX19

Hope I'm not annoying anyone putting this request for advice on here, but here goes... I've long held the ambition to drive the car 'home' to Turin, and wonder if anyone's actually done this without just piling down the international motorways?
As with many I suppose, my favourite film was the original Italian Job, and I'd love to get there, driving along some of those beautiful roads... But to go online for such a search seems just a minefield. Could anyone with prior knowledge of such a run, say from Calais, help us along the way?
It's my last chance as a couple. Littlun due in early autumn, so it's now or never. My 87 Exxy all set, now it's time to get the maps out!
Will probably make an early pitstop in Reims (free bed and champagne!), but after that I've no clue. Just hate the thought of driving straight past a turn with a route to die for, when this'll probably be the only time we'll manage to do this.
Thanks if anyone can shed light. Glenn and Caroline.

When we drove our then new X1/9 to Italy in the late 80s we used French motorail to get us down to Avignon then round the Med before heading north.

the French have scrapped motorail from Calais, although there is still a limited service of sorts from Paris.

I want to take our current X1/9 to Italy some time but will not drive - the Dutch run a motorail service from near Utrecht to a couple of locations in Italy. This service is not cheap but is probably the best option for us, saving wear and tear on elderly car and 'mature' owner.

the Germans have something similar from Dusseldorf.

best wishes

Jim

I tried to get an expression of interest in driving to the Croatian X1/9 meet a couple of years ago but no joy, not even 1 reply. I drive to Greece on a regular basis and pass through N Italy, great drive, brilliant scenery, (Not in my X BTW) I would love to go there in the X, PM me for a chat

Use the national (N) roads from Reims , Dijon , bourg en brese, don't use the Mont Blanc tunnel . Try going over top mt Cenis is a good road , just be careful of Italian quarry trucks on the way down , they take no prisoners !

Thanks very much for words of wisdom, anybody else's thoughts welcome... Ferry all booked, Good Friday afternoon. Reims for the first night, then south east we go. Cheers - I'll get the maps out.

Thanks very much for words of wisdom, anybody else's thoughts welcome... Ferry all booked, Good Friday afternoon. Reims for the first night, then south east we go. Cheers - I'll get the maps out.

Buy a "French" road atlas from a Hyper-marche when you arrive in Calais
( IGN = O.S. in France) great maps with fantastic detail.. and around 25% the price of a UK purchased one.., :D

I've not been for years so won't advise further.. have a great time..!!,

who's the breakdown cover with..?? :confused:

Charlie

Thanks for all advice above. 8 days and 1970 miles later we returned to Sheffield, without any car issues whatsoever. OK, so the snow prevented us from taking the high passes, but hey ho I'll just have to return in high summer sometime for that. And to stay at the old Lingotto plant in Turin, park outside the front door, and let the little red car be the star was worth it's weight. And how many others did we see driving through England, France and northern Italy?....

Delta is terrific cheers Charlie - Don't think I've ever had what would be classed as a 'family runaround' that has caused so much attention. I'm always getting stopped or asked about it especially since I fully rebranded it back to a Lancia. I've the 1.4 MultiAir - White with the Matte Black roof. Tons of kit on it - Probably not the best drivers car out there but its comfy, reliable, practicle , cheap to run and looks great IMO

P1011092_zpsd1d3e09b.jpg

Just got back from work ( tour road crew ) while I was away I did a bit of research and found the corner that the bus teeters over in the original Italian job . It's the ss460 north of Turin in the gran Paradiso , nature reserve : park , I rode it two up on 125 monkey bike ! Awesome road ( somehow the word awesome doesn't do the road justice ) you can't miss the corner it's right at the top above the second lake. . If anybody can explain how I upload photos , I will !

Back