Technical Won't start!

Currently reading:
Technical Won't start!

GGX19

Hiya, hope someone can advise. My '87 X19 this morning: battery newly charged. Starter motor suposedly sorted a few months ago, probably haven't started it thirty times since (though it did a glorious job as our wedding car in early May).
So this morning, turned key in ingition. Tick tick tick tick tick... nothing. Tried rocking the car, which always worked a treat before I finally decided to sort the intermittant issue of the starter sticking over the last few years - absolutely nothing turning over still...
Am a real lemon with all this, but something in my head says solenoid failure? Am I right to think this, and is it an easy change if so? If my starter was overhauled, would that not have been sorted at the same time? Thanks for any light someone can shed. Glenn in Sheffield

It will be easier and cheaper just to replace the whole unit with a second hand one, as it does sound like the solenoid.
I can send you one all in for £25 including courier delivery.

Thanks very much, sledgehammer. Aim to be Mr Angry to my garage that 'fixed' the starter earlier in the year, then I'll get back to you. Glenn.

Three words - "brown wire mod"

Actually this is a little inaccurate but relevant. Odds are that the wiring loom is degrading and the resistivity (yes that is a real word) of the wires is increasing, the result is the starter and solenoid may not be getting 12.4v even though the battery is good and fully charged.

I would seriously consider getting a new run of cable from the battery to the starter, and the same from the ignition switch.

Check your earth cables too - the last thing you need is the earth cables failing. The sole remaining connection will be the throttle cable and that is a lot harder to replace than a few short (cheap) straps.

Thanks Jimbro. have meant to get round to replacing power cable, and this could be the time. Will let you know.

Back