Technical Abarth Engine in 1983 X1/9?

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Engine in 1983 X1/9?

Zeta040

Hello,
I am working on restoring a 1983 Fiat X1/9 with my dad and we were wondering if the Abarth 1400 engine from the new Abarth 500s would just bolt right in.

Thanks,
-Derek W.

Hello,
I am working on restoring a 1983 Fiat X1/9 with my dad and we were wondering if the Abarth 1400 engine from the new Abarth 500s would just bolt right in.

Thanks,
-Derek W.

But I understand that the engine from the Uno turbo ie is a simple transplant and there are plenty of those around.

But I understand that the engine from the Uno turbo ie is a simple transplant and there are plenty of those around.

Thank you, and I'll consider that. Either that, or we'll just fix the motor it currently has. Still, thank you.

Thank you, and I'll consider that. Either that, or we'll just fix the motor it currently has. Still, thank you.

Apart from anything else, I seem to remember the block is the same as the standard engine so the gearbox bolts straight on. There must be articles about this somewhere. The turbo is low down at the back of the engine, which is awkward in the Uno but should help in the X1/9. I had an Uno turbo ie tuned by one of the UK's foremost Fiat tuners - the late, great Barry Waterhouse - it produced something like 160 bhp and was extremely quick.

There is a guide to uno turbo conversion at laursen online but uno engines are getting very rare now and only crop up occasionally at sensible prices, thats why I opted for the Punto gt engine though there's more hurdles to jump to get to the finish line.

Back