Technical Condensors, Dizzy cap and running Help !!

Currently reading:
Technical Condensors, Dizzy cap and running Help !!

JimmyJam

Hi all. My X is ok but runs a bit rough after driving. Basically the car stalls when i come to a stop after driving for a while. i then have to wind the idle control valve in to keep it from stalling. I have taken the jets out cleaned them and they are as clean as a whistle . I have looked into distributor cap and all very clean. The only thing i noticed is the little contacts inside cap look quit scored. Not sure if that is ok or change. I have not looked at the spark plug yet but just wanted to know where to start. somebody suggested the coil not working properly. i felt it with my hand and it was fairly hot after driving. I also wanted to ask about the two condensors . one seems to be next to the distributor and one bigger one next to the coil. What's the difference between the two and how do i know they are working properly. i am really rubbish in understanding basic electronics so if someone gives me advice, please make it really simple to understand.
I really don't know where to start or what i need to buy. I don't really want to buy anything i don't need but will take any advice. Really appreciate it guys. Thanks Jimmy.

Hi jimmy,

A few reasons could be,

Dirt in fuel or carb
Loose carb screws or fixing nuts
Damaged carb gaskets
Air leaks at inlet manifold gaskets
Clogged air filter
Faulty fuel pump

Problems with air leaks will obviously get worse when the engine is hot as the gaps get bigger.

Also check the points gap, over time a lump can build on one face of the points, affecting the running.

Regards

Guy

The "condensor" next to the coil isn't a condensor it is a filter - it is there to help suppress radio and electronic noise from the ignition circuit.

The only condensor on the car should be on the distributor

Back