General 1980 x19 Transmission - Where to buy?

Currently reading:
General 1980 x19 Transmission - Where to buy?

Theburtcollection

Hello -

I am in need of a transmission for a 1980 X19. I can't seem to locate one anywhere and even went so far as to buy a donor car (which also had a bad trans, as it turned out). Midwest Bayless told me they no longer make them, does anyone know where I can get one?

Also - Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post - its my first time on this forum!

Thanks!

It will be hard to get hold of
Your best bet would be one of those companies that refurbs gearboxes
Have a search on google and you may even find one local to you
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Are you in the Midwest? I ask because you mentioned MWB. I have a spare 5 speed transmission that came out of an '80 which I would be willing to part with locally (Lafayette, IN) for a fair price. Shipping elsewhere I'd have to add to the price to make it worth my while to ship. The previous owner said that the 3rd gear isn't good, but I don't remember if he said it was a synchro or not. Either way, I started taking it apart, so you would probably at least want to replace gaskets. What is wrong with the gearbox you have? It would probably be most economical to buy and replace the broken parts from MWB or Fiatplus. Manual gearboxes are pretty simple once you dive in. Probably anything you can find will be used and not perfect condition anyway. I work at a parts store, and I've already pinged the rebuild companies that we deal with, and basically get laughed at when you tell them you need something for a Fiat. Best of luck.

Hello,..I bought the last transmission the Midwest made. They were offering a rebuilt 5speed with a modified 5th gear(I can't remember the ratio). At the time their rebuilder quit and they had to find another to do the tranny. When I received the unit, I got my local Ital garage to install it. A certain piece was left out on the shifter assembly. They removed the tranny and fixed and reinstalled. I had to communicate the error to Midwest and the were able to compensate me for the repair. Talking to Matt at Midwest, he stated thet they were no longer going to offer trannys for sale. They have been stung too many times over trannys. So I got the last one. My tranny is awesome 140 km/hr@4000 rpms.

Back