Technical Won't start..help!

Currently reading:
Technical Won't start..help!

I have an 89 gran finale with 12k on the clock. I keep it in A1 condition and it's kept in a de humidified garage with the battery on a trickle charger. Over the winter I start it up and take it for a drive every two weeks or so to keep things running smoothly. The last run out was mid December. So far so good...

Tried to start it up yesterday and can't get it started. It turns over eagerly but fails to fire..not even a hint of firing up. I have checked that there is a spark at the plugs (it's fitted with Lumenition elec ignition). I have checked the fuel pump works by disconnecting the fuel inlet pipe to carb and turning it over..no problem there either. I got 2 mates round today and we tried push starting it..didn't even hint at firing up. Spoke to my mechanic at DTR who said it sounded odd and he would need to take a look at it...

Any ideas guys before I call homestart?? Jimbro? Cheers

Take the air filter off and make sure there is fuel going down the throttle barrel as it turns (obviously this takes more than one person unless you have the right gear). A little bit of extra fuel down the throttle as well may give you a clue but obviously one thing at a time - don't try both at once.

If it has fuel and spark then either the timing is off or you've lost compression...

To answer ppalma's question, yes definitely strong smell..noticed it immediately...why do you ask?

I will try that also Jimbro as soon as I have a second person to check..how would it lose compression if it ran perfectly a couple of weeks ago and has been parked in my garage since?

I was just wondering if there was any fuel getting to the cylinders. If it doesn't fire, it will come off the exhaust and smell quite badly. I would risk either the ignition timing is way off or you have too much fuel coming in. I once had a carburetor float that leaked and caused a car not to start. There was fuel all over the place.

To answer ppalma's question, yes definitely strong smell..noticed it immediately...why do you ask?

I will try that also Jimbro as soon as I have a second person to check..how would it lose compression if it ran perfectly a couple of weeks ago and has been parked in my garage since?

Didn't say you had lost compression - just that if it was none of the above then it has to be...

A snapped camshaft, failed valves, cracked head or block, holed pistons, etc are all possibilities and could potentially happen at any time even if somewhat unlikely. If you've eliminated the the obvious then whatever is left, however improbable, must be the answer...

If there is a strong smell of fuel then I would go with flooding too - checking the condition of the plugs will give you a clue after turning it over a few times. If it is *really* flooding I would recommend an oil change once you've got the float valve fixed - petrol contamination of the oil is a pretty serious problem.

My Gran Finale refused to start after being absolutely fine. It too leads a pampered but all too inactive life but how could it have been fine one day and not the next?. There was also a strong smell of fuel, stronger when turning over. Turned out to be a perished fuel hose and a piece of rubber had become detached internally and blocked the hose hence the non starting. Fitted new hoses and everything was ok. Probably too simple but worth a look?

Started after fitting new sparkplugs..old plugs contaminated with antifreeze mixture because I have a blown head gasket for the 2nd time in 6 months..Last blew in Italy in August..had it replaced in Italy and drove the car home but unbeknownst to me there was still an underlying problem which was causing the car to run lean and therefore hot..This wasn't discovered until I had returned to the UK when I took the car to my mechanic to have the head retorqued..From memory I think it was a partially blocked idle jet causing it to run lean..Anyway the drive back to the UK at speed on motorways must have caused the same thing to happen again. Gasket has blown in the same place..I remember reading a thread where Jimbro said these engines have a tendency to blow between 2 & 3 cylinder which is where it is. Is that right Jimbro?

Finally picked up my X1/9 from DTR European sportscars on Monday..they found that the head had been skimmed incorrectly in Italy (32 thou out!)..reskimmed by Vulcan engineering..the guy there (Steve) built up a plate to simulate the fiat part which keeps the head steady whilst being skimmed..did a great job..saw the video..
Anyway, had the head decoked, valve seats recut, new thermostat, all new gaskets, stretch bolts etc..(all new parts courtesy of Eurosport ltd..very helpful)..engine cleaned up too and looking as new....cost a packet though but worth every penny!
Was going to sell it this spring but have decided to keep hold of it now :D

Attachments

• IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Back