Technical '79 X1/9 some simple electrical help?

Currently reading:
Technical '79 X1/9 some simple electrical help?

TajMan

Hey Guys,
I'm in need of some simple electrical identifying of wires on my project car.
'79 Fiat X1/9

It has been sitting this way for years, ignition key switch was broken and the following parts were missing not installed:
-alternator
-battery
-water pump
Fuse box hanging by passengers feet, some loose wires disconnected in engine bay.

Pictures attached I've marked a bit.

#1 this thick red wire coming out of the harness in the firewall there, is this wire the starter motor signal wire? (I also have some loose wires I believe are coming from the starter solenoid on the starter motor)
#2 three loose wires hanging near the water pump/alternator area. I imagine one may be a coolant temp sensor wire, is the thicker teal green wire supposed to go to the alternator + output?
#3 you can see the fuse panel hanging..
#4 The battery. There are these two large teal green wires coming through the body in the picture, I assume these both go to battery +? And where is the Battery Negative lead supposed to connect? Should I just fashion a new battery negative cable mounted to a large bolt into the steel body, like the location directly above the center of the battery?

I have a new ignition switch wired up, so with a battery connected and the starter motor properly connected, I am attempting to turn the motor over and see if it fires off of starter fluid.
I do not even need to hook up water pump and alternator at this time. If the motor fires and seems good, I know I have a good 1500 carb'd motor to sell.
Next I'll be pulling the engine/transmission, so that I can use the transmission in the '86 Bertone X1/9 I recently purchased which has no trans!!

thanks for the quick help guys

Attachments

• 20121226_163213.jpg
    20121226_163213.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20121226_163250.jpg
    20121226_163250.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20121226_163320.jpg
    20121226_163320.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20121226_165328.jpg
    20121226_165328.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 32
BUMP

nobody frequents this forum? No X1/9 owners that could pop their hood and help a guy out?

Hi TajMan

Try here http://x19.xwebforums.org/wiki/index.php?title=Electrical

I think the red wire in pic 1 is for the card cooling fan,but i am not 100 per cent

You can use the bolt just above the battery in pic 4

The main live runs through the tunnel of the car and comes out somewhere hear the starter

Not sure but it could be the oil pressure switch terminal in in pic 2

Sorry i could not be anymore help ,i will look tomorrow on mine if you still need help

Cheers Shaun

Simple enough, I figured things out today!

Yep, hooked up battery with negative lead to body & new terminal on the + leads.

2nd try on what I wired to the starter solenoid signal wire, and I got the right wire, motor cranked right over!

..and it runs off of starter fluid just as it should! (yeah I made sure there was oil in the engine)

great news.

So I have a good 1500 carb'd motor for sale in the U.S. - Salt Lake City Utah
and I also have parts not installed:
-new timing belt
-new timing belt pulley
-new water pump
-water pump housing & alternator bracket reman'd from midwest bayless
-new Remy alternator

Back