Technical Clutch Master Cylinder Return Spring

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Master Cylinder Return Spring

Pull9Gs

I've had the whole steering column/pedal assembly out of the car whilst replacing the brake master cylinder.

It's all back in the car now but I haven't managed to get the clutch master cylinder return spring back on.

I am worried that I am trying the impossible as I have it assembled wrong.

No work has been done on the clutch so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.

I have also removed the rubber pedal stop completely to allow it to travel as high as possible but it's still around an inch away. It seems that even if I could get it connected it would then be stretching too far when the stop is reinstalled.

Could somebody please post a photo of theirs so I can compare it to my assembly? Mines a '77 1300.

Thanks

Here's some photos of mine.

Does anybody know or can compare to theirs if the bracket is the correct way around?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0694.jpg
    IMAG0694.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMAG0690.jpg
    IMAG0690.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
I don't think that bracket belongs there.
I recently replaced the clutch master cylinder and I'm positive there was no bracket attached to it. Check these:
http://www.socalx.com/xhelp/X1-9_331-XX_33-5.pdf
Although the images are not clear about where the spring attaches, it's clear there's nothing left of the cylinder.

yes the bracket is in the right place but its a bastard of a job to get the spring back on, i didn't bother, the spring on the gearbox is enough to push the pedal back.

How to get the spring back on:

Depress clutch, footwell full of washers!

Attachments

• IMAG0802.jpg
    IMAG0802.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 109
Afaik, that's not a clutch pedal return spring, it's a clutch pedal assist spring.

Iirc, the idea was that as the pedal is pushed down more than half? way, the strong spring then assists in pushing the pedal further down or holding it down, i.e. it makes the clutch pedal lighter to operate.

So it can be left off, will just make the clutch pedal slightly heavier to operate.

AL.

+ 1 on pull9gs method, this is how I did it, I'd struggled for ages trying different methods before doing it this way

Back