Technical 1975 x19 overheating

Currently reading:
Technical 1975 x19 overheating

andrew t

Hello everyone,

My fiat x 19, when the engine is warm the coolant sounds like its bubbling inside the coolant reservoir and then overtime the backsplash on the coolant starts to leak out from underneath the car and then as the car is running for about 5 minutes it goes extremely hot and its in the red, its overheating pretty bad. What I'm thinking is the thermostat switch is no good but the rad. is pretty new on the car and the fan still works on the rad. When the engine temperature rises the fan on the engine does work. Now I'm starting to think it could be the water pump? Any suggestions Anyone?!:bang:

Hi Andrew,

I remember having the same problem on my daughter's little x, cleaned the radiator and pipes, did the anti freeze replacement, check workings on the thermostat and cooling fan all at that stage seemed to be okay. Then my local mechanic suggested that the engine needs to be "tuned" as it was pinging and thus running very hot. So in went new spark plugs, filters and the time was set again. Away went the pinging, down came the fuel consumption and so did the running temperature. Another possibility to keep in mind is that the water pipes run all the way from the front to the engine at the back, rust built up in them can severely restrict the flow to and from the radiator/engine.

Hope the above will help.

Gerhard

Bubbling inside the reservoir sounds like gasket failure. Try undoing the radiator purge screw to let the air out. If it keeps doing it, the gasket is a possibility.

Back