Technical 1975 x19, cant seem to get the seats removed from the car

Currently reading:
Technical 1975 x19, cant seem to get the seats removed from the car

andrew t

i am still restoring my x19 but its time for me to replace the bottom of the car! I was messing around with the seats and there seems to be no bolts or anything for me to remove the seats from the car so i can replace the floor.

Could anyone please assist me with taking out these seats, its very much apperciated!

The seats simply slide forward off the rails. There are no bolts.

There is however a large spring under the centre of the seat which connects the seat to the floor. This spring provides assistance when you are sliding forward.

The method is to slide the seat as far forward as it will go without using force, then look behind and underneath the seat and you will see the spring. Unhook the spring from the floor and slide the seat even further forward off the rails. This is on a '77.

Today i gave it a try, but the problem is i cannot seem to get the seat to move forward or backwards. There is two knob like handles under the seat, one on the left and one at the right, i messed around with it but still no luck.

My seats are different then - they have a single lever mounted outboard to release them to enable them to slide forwards and backwards.

One of the knobs or both together must control the position? Could they possibly be seized? Try a drop of WD-40?

I think that is exactly what i am going to do! I gata stick my body right into the car and take a good look under the seat and see what is there. Hopefully i get these seats out!

Did you get the seats out? If your 75 is like mine, there are two levers on the front sides of the seats. One adjusts the angle of the back, and the other allows the seat to move back and forth. Both driver and passenger seats are the same, so the levers are the same, which means on one side the back adjustment lever is inboard and on the other side it is outboard. I used something with a hook that can grab the spring and pull it off the front of the seat.

you know what i have not yet to get to taking out the seats! But details about the spring will help, so its a giant spring that is under the seat, so i get that hooked off the seat somehow and then i just pull the seat forward and thats it? Also where exactly under the seat do i need to unhook the spring, is it noticable?

The spring is hooked to the front of the seat in the middle, and under the center of the seat to the floor of the car. I will accept you as a friend. My 75 is the first car I restored. Has been keeping me busy in retirement. Took nearly
4 years part time, and I got a lot of help especially from Matt at Midwest-Bayless.

Back