Technical removing dash to change bulbs

Currently reading:
Technical removing dash to change bulbs

andrew t

Hi everyone, I have a 1975 fiat bertone x19 and when i flick on the switchfor my dashboard lights to come on, most of them don’t work. Now I’m trying tochange the bulbs but cant seen to get access. On the dashboard, there are a fewscrews that are on the face of the dash that I took out, but when I’m pulling, it’sloose but it seems like something is holding it back! Any ideas? Don’t want tobreak it!

There is a speedo cable holding you back. If you look at the back of where the dashboard would be from the front luggage area you'll find (or should find) a small plastic cover that looks like a bit of bent tubing. Take this off and it should give you access to a joint in the cable, release the joint (carefully) and you should find the dashboard is now free to move.

The problem is I know that not all cars had the joint but not when it was introduced. It was certainly there circa 1978...

when you say the front luggage area, do you mean the front compartment where the battery is located, that area, or under the dash, where the fuse box and all the wires are located?

okay, so i was looking around and i have found the speedo cable! But the next problem is there is no where to take it out, and i tryed to gently pull it and it does not move! I noticed it was the correct cable when i was pulling the dash, the cable was pulling with it. Any options?

Sorry for the constant replies, using a little more force i was able to move the wire a bit more and for the dash, its out enough to see the white part towards the back of the dash. How will i be able to change the bulbs? Please keep in mind i cannot get behind the dash

It sounds like you have a 1 piece speedo cable.. I had the same issue.. from under the car work some more cable slack towards the front. then with the cover off in the frunk, pull up on the cable to gain slack.. once the cluster is out enough to get your had behind it find the thumb wheel for the cable and unscrew it.. you will now have plenty space to unplug the wires and remove the entire cluster from the car..

I suggest replacing that cable with the jointed type for relief from this design flaw.

thanks for the reply! Thats seems like alot of work to chsnge a few bulbs, but i will plan a day to fix this claw, thanks again!

Back