Tuning fiat uno gearbox on 1500 engine

Currently reading:
Tuning fiat uno gearbox on 1500 engine

littlephil

Hi all, im looking at fitting an uno turbo gearbox to my x1/9. I have a few questions about the conversion if anyone has done it. I know you need to fit the internals into the x1/9 casings, and fit the standard x1/9 final drive.

What else from the standard gearbox needs keeping?

And what clutch do I fit?

Can I retain the standard flywheel?

Cheers phil

If you are talking about the Mk1 gearbox with a standard 1500 engine then you should keep the stock flywheel and clutch but if you are using the Uno engine then you should use the uno flywheel and clutch.

The internals little a bit of mix and match - iirc one of the bearings is different between the two sets and won't fit the X1/9 casing.

Hi jim, yes I want to fit an uno mk1 to a stock 1500 block. So just to check the input shaft has the same splines?
So its more of an actual getting the internals to physically fit?

When I rip the gearboxes to bits I'll tale photos for the rest of the class.

One of the things that makes the Mk1 Uno Turbo such an easy fit is that it is, for all intents and purposes, just a reduced capacity version of the 1500. Pretty much everything on the 1300 engine is the same as the 1500 so mix and match it about as easy as it gets.

The engine modifications basically come down to the capacity, turbo oil feed and the crankcase oil sprays. The timing sensors are straight off the fuel injected version of the 1500 X1/9. The gearbox is much the same and uses much the same geartrain design but there is a little pain involved but it does go together.

The clutch size is the same but if in any doubt over the splines get your motor factor to verify it first, the reference catalogues list pretty much all the important details, not just the O/D of the clutch.

I've just collected my uno turbo gearbox :) when I strip it down what am I looking at to check the syncros are in good order. I've ordered a gasket set and a x1/9 seal set. Can anyone think of anything else I will need?

Cheers
Phil

Damage to the synchros is typically pretty obvious - chipped or cracked teeth, burrs, etc. The same applies to the gears.

The most likely part to be damaged are the detent pins that encourage the box to stay in gear, these get flattened out and once that happens it can fall out of gear quite easily.

You're replacing the seals so nothing to worry about there. Just make sure all the bushes and gears are in good order too.

Finally check the clutch release arm is not damaged. Later Fiat gearboxes tend to see them fail a lot but the older boxes seem pretty rugged by comparison.

Back