Technical Wiring mods

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring mods

shaun

Established member
Hi i am in the middle of doing the brown wire mod is there any other mods i should be doing at the same time.I know about the headlight relay and the diode mods.I have a 1987 1500

Thanks Shaun

You've pretty much got it sussed, the wiring killers are the three you mentioned. Everything else is just a matter of making sure your earthing points are clean (I prefer mine to be somewhere I can get to - but my car has a lot less metal bodywork than yours and it doesn't have to carry luggage or passengers).

The only other thing I've seen that I considered worthy of doing but too much hassle to get done is converting the dashboard illumination to LEDs instead of fibre optic and conventional incandescent bulbs. The little bulbs actually in the instrument panel are easy enough but replacing the fibre optics is a real bind. Just to make things more complicated (and a major stumbling block) whenever I have felt up to it (or just plain bored) I haven't actually owned a road going car...

Thanks Jimbro
If you get bored there is still plenty of work to do on mine feel free to pop down to Bath anytime you want ha Ha

Last edited:
I replaced the gearbox earth strap recently, and am considering replacing the battery earth cable for a thicker one. If you do the brown wire mod you are going to end up with a greater cross section on the positive side than the negative, so it would make sense to beef up the earth cable.

Thanks ppalma

I have replaced my battery earth strap for a bigger one and also the main positive cable to the starter.

I will do as you said for the earth on the gearbox

I am getting a clicking sound from the starter and have taken it apart and cleaned all the contacts and it works fine on a bench but not in the car which i am putting down to a voltage drop somewhere.

I have read about a hard start relay mod put i cannot find a diagram showing you how to do it

Thanks Shaun

I am feeling exceedingly stupid right now.
Yesterday I took the car for a drive, then went to the gas station and, sure enough, it wouldn't start. Took my multimeter out (I always carry it around) and decided to thoroughly check my system. Undid the battery earth, put the multimeter in series and started checking how many amps the individual circuits were pulling. And found essentially nothing.
Connected the battery and the car started first time, without hesitation. Started wondering what, if anything, I had done, and casually went through the Haynes manual looking for inspiration. I look at a photo of the battery and think to myself "how curious, the RHD cars have a different earth connection, its bolted to the firewall (or whatever you call that panel)". It suddenly dawns on me that someone once upon a time decided to connect the earth cable to the M5 stud that holds the battery cover. It always looked fiddly to me, but I never really considered that it was plain wrong!

Very strange, mine is bolted to the fire wall panel with a 8mm bolt.Hopefully that will cure your problem.I have also read that a extra earth from the gearbox helps as well but not tried that yet

Back