General Door Panel/ Card removing help

Currently reading:
General Door Panel/ Card removing help

MaddMatt

I have had my 86 for a couple of years now and I am finally getting around to fixing the interior door panels. The vinyl is in great shape but that horrible tan stripe has to go as I would love to paint the handles to get them looking nice again.

Before I just start tearing into it, is there any trick to getting the interior door panels / cards off? I searched around online and can't find an explanation. I want to reuse them so I want to do it carefully.

Thanks!

MM

The trick isn't really much of a trick - unless you have window winders instead of electric windows.

Remove the 3 screws holding the handle on to the door (one is hidden behind a plastic plug).

If you have a window winder carefully extract the u-shaped spring clip from behind the handle (guaranteed to fly off and disappear forever), slide the handle off. If you have electric windows there is nothing more to do on this front.

The door card then just unclips working from the bottom, once the clips are released it lifts off (upwards). You can purchase special pry bars for releasing the clips without destroying them but after 26 years I'm willing to bet they are too brittle and will break anyway but it is always best to try and preserve them.

There should also be a vapor screen over the door interior but these are usually long gone or in tatters. Especially if the door card has been chopped to fit speakers.

Well it's no longer brown but I think I need another coat of dye....

Thanks for all the help. I managed to keep some of the clips intact and reuse them at least enough to keep the door on but I'll order some extras for the next time I dye it and replace them all

MM

Attachments

• 2012-05-12 18.52.20.jpg
    2012-05-12 18.52.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
Back