Technical Misfire after water pump change

Currently reading:
Technical Misfire after water pump change

Thanks Jimbro.
There is a little mark on the distributor cap, like a scratch. It's pretty small. I have changed it for a new one and it still has a misfire. I'll have to check the new one tomorrow.
What causes them to chew the distributor caps? I've noticed that mine is a pain to fit right.
I'd rather it needed a new distributor cap than the manifold gasket. I'm not looking forward to removing the manifold to be honest.

I never found out why my old car did it - the only conclusion I could come to was the distributor was getting hot and expanding slightly, putting the tightly fitted cap under stress. The cap is supposed to be thermally stable plastic but I am not 100% convinced that it wasn't getting slightly brittle after repeated heat cycles.

The manifold isn't too bad to remove from the head as long as you take a bit of care.

The gasket has been changed. It had blown on one side and was generally in poor condition.
The carb-manifold gasket was pretty poor too.
Gaskets changed and the misfire has gone! Thanks for the great advice Jimbro and fellow enthusiasts.
Couldn't change the distributor cap; the motor factors gave me the wrong cap! The car is running a lot better.
The ticking noise I could hear when under load turned out to be the timing. A bit of adjustment and the ticking noise has gone and the throttle response is also much better.
Once again. thanks folks.

Back