Technical Overheating at one end?!

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating at one end?!

guyschofield

Hello!

I've just put the engine back in my 1300 after a pro rebuild and now have big overheating issues.

Within five minutes of starting the car from cold, the temp gauge is edging into the red, despite the block being only just hot to the touch. Neither the rad fan nor the carb fan are kicking in and the radiator feels stone cold (I've bled it for airlocks already and the temperature sender's ok (at least I've swapped it for a spare and the spare did the same thing).

One of the large hoses from the t-stat to the coolant pipes feels hot, the other only slightly warm. Does this suggest the thermostat's not working as it should?
Or...is it possible I've connected the two large hoses to the coolant pipes the wrong way round? If so, would this matter? It's a standard engine and currently the large hose at the top of the thermostat is connected to the right hand coolant pipe which runs under the car? The other large hose is connected to the left hand pipe. Is this correct?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give!
Cheers,
Guy:bang:

As you say you have a spare sender, stick it in some hot water with a thermometer to check the actual temperature of the water, see if the gauge is perhaps over reading, saves draining the car. Hope that helps if it's possible to do. That way you can rule out faulty gauge/sender, before moving on to the next step.

Back