General New Project.

Currently reading:
General New Project.

wanmac

Hi there. I'm new to this site.

I have just purchased a rather battered and sorry looking 1987 x1/9 for my first project car. It was previously my boss's project, however, he couldn't find the time to repair it so wanted to see it go to a good home. It has a lot of rust on the body work. I am in the process of giving the engine a rebuild and clean up. Stripped everything out of engine bay and re-welded the engine mount. Going to give it a spray up before replacing engine.

Wish me luck. Will get pictures up ASAP. :)

Hi guys. Just stripping off paint to find all the rust spots and found my offside rear wheel arch has been filled poorly in the past. I intend to remove all the filler and weld a new arch in its place. However, I can't seem to find replacement arch panels. Can anyone help.

Cheers guys

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I have just ordered a replacement door as it was in such a state after I stripped the paint back. Turns out it had had a rather large crash at some point and someone had done a half ar*ed job of filling. It basically fell off. I was wandering if anyone has any experience of removing the glass from the door panel.
The window was lowered prior to having battery removed (electric windows), do I need to raise it again. Have looked in the Haynes manual but cannot find a section on removal of door window.

Hope once again you can be of assistance.

Mark

Hi, another question. The silver sound proof material from the bulkhead in the engine bay, Do i need it???? :)

Cheers guys,

Mark

It isn't soundproofing - it is heatproofing!

It isn't 100% necessary of course but it helps to insulate the rest of the car from the furnace that the engine bay becomes in normal running!

I see. I may replace it. Problem is I think it looks horrible under the hood. Will see what I can do.

Cheers

I seem to remember you can buy the matting with foil sheet as a generic item, no idea where from and you would have to cut it all to shape but it should be do-able

Does anyone know whether there are different types of 1500 engines fitted in the x? I have a 1987 exxie and have seen a gasket set for a 1500 block but it says its for up to 1985? Is this not suitable for my exxie?

Gotcha! That would explain the number of bolts in the description. Thanks once again!

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine. Going to order new bearings, and gaskets etc. I was wandering is there any point in replacing small end bearings? I'm of he opinion that whilst I have the engine out of the car I should really replace them, however, someone said they can be a right b**ch to do? Has anyone had any experience with them?
Cheers in advance.

Arghhhhhhhhh! Was cleaning up the carb. notcied at first one of the fuel lines was bent. Thought nothing more of it until I accidentally rested carb onto damaged fuel feed. Woops......as you can hopefully see from picture I am in trouble. Is it possible to get a replacement part for this????? Or is a replacement carb the only answer?

Cheers again.

Attachments

• IMG-20111018-00130.jpg
    IMG-20111018-00130.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
The short answer is new carburettor time.

The damage is repairable but it is going to take some serious effort to do it and you'll have to get a new pipe union made as it isn't part of any of the standard kits.

Has anyone had any experience of renting a garage to do your cars up? Was wandering what the best procedure is......do i need to go through an estate agent? If I rent a commercial "workshop" do I have to pay business rates if I'm not using the property to make a profit?

Hi guys! Not posted for a while! Car restores been on standby for a while whilst I find a suitable workshop to work in! I've found somewhere now with a colleague big enough for his x1/9, a fiat 126 and my exxie! I've managed to find a local engineering firm to make me a new pipe union for my carb! £20! Hoping restore will be a lot quicker now with the new unit!

Anyone know of a replacement windscreen for sale? Autoglass want £360 fitted!

Hi guys, long time no speak, car restores goin well.... If a little longer than I'd hoped! I'm looking for a rear offside wheel arch which is in better nick than mine! Anyone got one of these spare? :) also I'm removing the bumpers completely off my 1500.... Has anyone had any experience of fitting side lights to the bodywork? Are the 1300's compatible?

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I live in South Africa. Looks like you know a lot about the X 19. I have a spare 1500 X 1 9 engine that I would like to install in a fiat 128 1300. I believe this can be done, there only seems to be a problem with the oil pick up. Is that true and if so how could it be solved. I think a modified 1500 should do very well in the 128. Thank you

Back