Technical 1498cc Engine Project - Help needed!

Currently reading:
Technical 1498cc Engine Project - Help needed!

overheated

Hi, I'm a 2nd year student doing a motorsport degree, I'm in the process of building a race engine with the 1498cc 138as000 fiat lump, at the moment I'm having problems finding data on the power and torque through the rev range which i need for certain calculations. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

And also any information on tuning of the cylinder head would be sweet, for example big valves and camshaft, info or manufacturers.

thanks in advance

Thanks for the info guys, I liked your thread fiatfactory, you obviously know what your talking about.

thanks again

Re: 1498cc Engine Project -

Thanks.

Do you have to stay under 1500cc?

Have you considered a 1580cc crank change? from a Tipo?

Valves can be used from tipo sohc as well, there are two sizes of tipo inlet valves (apparently, I have only seen the 37.5mm ones) that can be interchanged into earluier heads 39.5mm and 37.5mm, or the whole tipo head will fit too....

One thing I haven't mentioned in any postings yet, is to try and sink the exhaust valve into it's seat slightly. How much depends on compression ratio and cam profile.(somewhere between 20 and 60 thou)

This helps prevent "draw through" on the overlap phase of the camshaft, by helping the intake charge flow into the cylinder and not out the exhaust valve. This is one of the keys to good flow numbers (practical ones, not the theoretical kind) through these cylinder heads.

if you wan to go really radical.... try something like this!!!

I'm planning a 1603cc sohc engine for my 128 sedan! :) I have some details on that if your interested.... should make good hp.... but will have great torque, which is what these engines really need more of..

SteveC

Attachments

• headmodification.jpg
    headmodification.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 100
At the moment we are at the stage of tuning the head, as it runs in line with one of our courseworks, firstly i will be modelling the engine in Ricardo Wave then from there i can introduce variuos changes such as porting work, cams, raised compression, induction system modifications, inlet and exhaust tract (pulse tuning) etc. Then moving onto the bottom end as again it runs in line with coursework, so killing two birds with one stone sorta thing, then model the bottom end in Wave and intorduce various modifications there. From there i can work out the best modelled solution for maximising torque and power without touching the engine. At the moment the work i am doing is to do with maximising flow in theory by use of cfm and CD calculations. I will be back to pester you more steve :p got to get to the work now, thanks again. btw I will be asking more about your 1603, sounds interesting :)

http://www.sihe.ac.uk/sihe/auto/bengmse.htm

robert

Back