Technical X1/9 Heater Valve replacement

Currently reading:
Technical X1/9 Heater Valve replacement

Thanks for the guide - anyone else care to share any tips for doing this job as mine needs doing now... All I did was change the coolant!

When you are trying to get the heater matrix out, try not to cut the pushrod for the bottom heater flap. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, and so I cut it to make it easier. Silly stupid mistake. I now have no control over the bottom flap from the lever on the dashboard :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, it is a pretty easy job to do, just a bit fiddly in places. I also think it is an easier job to do on a RHD model, going by those photos. I also managed to take the heater matrix out without removing the fan, I took the bottom of the heater box off and the core was sitting on top of it.

From memory, not very much, less than a cup. But I did have a leaky valve, which might have contributed to the lack of fluid, so I'm not sure if you will have the same experience. A small container should be enough to catch it all in any case, the heater matrix isn't very large.

OK Changed my matrix - darn fiddly job. Now my car is still SORN (off-road) until the end of the month when its getting MoT'ed (hopefully!) and Tax'ed. As such I cannot take for a run but I cannot feel any heat from the heater still even when warmed up idling? I've no leaks now though. I have cracked open the Heater return pipe on the engine head and heard lots of air escaping so there was/is air in the system. I did take the opportunity to flush out the matrix when it was removed. Do I need to bleed from the Rad as well or will heated water flow through the system once the car has been driven?

You need to bleed the rad - with the heater valve open.
Two options, jack the front of the car up to get the radiator up high and bleed from the radiator bleed screw or jack the rear of the car up and use the upper autochoke water pipe as your bleed point.

Cheers Jim - In all the years of having X's I've actually never bled a rad before. Would prefer to bleed from somewhere in the engine bay (Isn't the Rad bleed valve tricky to get at?) This is a 1300 Jim so no autochoke - can I use anywhere else? I was thinking about removing the coolant hoses from the Heater return on the block and water pump and flushing through with a hosepipe?

Back