Technical 80 X-1/9 wiring diagram

Currently reading:
Technical 80 X-1/9 wiring diagram

bpimm

Hi all,

I just acquired a 1980 X-1/9. it is having a bit of a charging problem. the alternator was rebuilt a short while ago by a reputable shop. The wiring diagram I have shows a separate voltage regulator but mine has an integral voltage regulator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the integral voltage regulator? I want to check out the wiring before I blame the alternator.

Brian

This is one of the really tricky topics. Basically fiat and then bertone had an annoying habit of regularly revising the wiring every few months as new features were added and suppliers changed. Pretty much all cars from 78 had integrated regulators but I've never seen a year specific wiring diagram. Years ago I drew up my own diagrams but I filed them away long ago and haven't seen them for a very long time. Your best hope is a later haynes manual or equivalent.

Hi bpimm

Try here

FI Model
80_Alternator_FI.jpg

Carby Model
80_Alternator_Carby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian,
My manual shows an intrigal voltage regulator. The testing shows just replacing it and the dash light should go off if it was bad. It doesn't look like it has any addition wires that could be checked. Probably just a couple of diodes in a box that screws into the alternator for connection.
Vance

This is one of the really tricky topics. Basically fiat and then bertone had an annoying habit of regularly revising the wiring every few months as new features were added and suppliers changed. Pretty much all cars from 78 had integrated regulators but I've never seen a year specific wiring diagram. Years ago I drew up my own diagrams but I filed them away long ago and haven't seen them for a very long time. Your best hope is a later haynes manual or equivalent.

That's what I expected from Fiat, I have known this car since it was new and have already fixed a lot of electrical issues. It came with a Haynes manual and the manual shows a remote regulator. I'm thinking it may need some rewiring. I'm going to try the brown wire mod, it suffers from the listed ailments for that mod, and see how much that will help with the overall electrical function.

It's a fun little car to drive, it needs improvements in brakes, tires, springs and dampers to start with.

Hi bpimm

Try here

Thanks, that's what I needed. that gives me enough to trouble shoot it. :)

Brian,
My manual shows an intrigal voltage regulator. The testing shows just replacing it and the dash light should go off if it was bad. It doesn't look like it has any addition wires that could be checked. Probably just a couple of diodes in a box that screws into the alternator for connection.
Vance

I just love the trouble shooting advice the manuals give, replace it and if it fixes it that was the problem....:bang:

Thanks guys for the input.

Back