General Help Identify my X1/9

Currently reading:
General Help Identify my X1/9

Aldino

Hi guys.

Been a while since I was on this site. Started working on my X again after a whole year. Got a Haynes manual but nothing wants to look the same. This is a 1300 1977 I think. She starts up, runs (but does not always keep the revs). This is only the start so I'll do more work on her with time. For now I just need to know what I'm dealing with and what needs to be done.

P1010167.JPG

My problem:
P1010149.JPG
Is this little black box the electronic ignition?
P1010150.JPG
Should there not be a vacuum advance on the distributor
P1010148.JPGP1010157.JPG
P1010156.JPG
No air hose going to the carburetor
And is the black box, distributor and carburetor standard on this model.

I hope you guys can help.

Thank You

Check if diaphrahm on carb holds air, as I had same problems with my Uno. It didn't hold revs and was getting flooded. In the winter it was almost impossible to drive. At the time I didn't know what's wrong so I fitted SPI instead of carb.

Your carb looks standard for a 77 (european model?) with manual choke, which would make the carb a 32dmtr (or a close variant, the number is stamped along the bottom edge of the carb)

The "black box" is your voltage regulator. It's not part of the ignition circuit at all, it's part of the charging system.

Your ignition should be points/condensor and regular coil. The 77 comes with either a Ducellier system or a Magnet Marelli system. Most have the Marelli setup, but you will find a manfacturers marking on the distributor body. You can access the distributor via a panel that unbolts behind the spare tyre (behind RH seat)

However just by looking at your pic, I suspect you may have the wrong distributor cap (or perhaps the whole distributor) as if the system is a marelli, it "should" have a distributor cap that the posts exit from the side, rather than through the top as yours does...

Its common for people to try and use a Fiat 128 distributor cap (its easier to find and a lot cheaper) but the posts dont actually line up correctly with the rotor when the points are triggered ... it will still run but with a poor spark.... or it may have had the entire distributor changed out? lots of things can happen to a car in 25 years...check the distributor type code which is stamped into the distributor.

There is no vac advance on the distributor on the european models.

The haynes manual you have may be the US version? (haynes 273US) not the euro version with supplements (haynes 273)

If it runs (but poorly) a common problem (with cars that have "sat" for a while) is dirt/crap in the idle circuit of the carburettor. If you look down the carb throats when the car is (close to) idling do you see fuel dripping from the central diffuser? (a symptom of a blocked / partially blocked primary idle circuit)

These carbs also tend to bend at the base if the carb mount nuts are overtightened and leak air from around the base...

Another common fault is the fuel float being soaked with fuel and too hence heavy.... this makes the carb flood as the float will sink into the fuel well too deep and displace too much fuel, making the fuel level too high ... even though the float is set "correctly".

SteveC

Thanks guys. Well spotted Hellcat:)

Very valuable info. I found it quite odd when I saw the screws holding the distributor cap in place. I'll have a look at it again over the weekend. Fiatfactory:worship:

Could I perhaps try my Uno's (2000yr 1100) distributor cap whose posts exit from the sides?

X19 ID Tag2.JPG

Could you tell from this attachment whether it is European/UK or American?

I also discovered my car was atually green: Code 390. I thought I read somewhere that if the model no. is preceded by an "A" then it will have the North American specs?

Thanks again...(y)

Back