General rust problems

Currently reading:
General rust problems

fjaerhaug

Hello. just bought my first x1/9, it's a 1980 mod 1500. But i got som rust problems.

It's in the front trunk on the left and right side. Any one have the same problem or know how to atack the problem?

the picture is not of my car but , i have rust on the same plase. Please give me som input.

best regard HF

Attachments

• tank_missing.jpg
    tank_missing.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 95
Can I be the first to welocme you the world of FF.

Fiat's and rust got together like Jimbro and knowledge, as will no doubt find out.. Unfortunatly, not the best situation. The best thing to do if time/money/skills allow it is to cut the affected metal out and replace it.

For other remedies, I now pass over to Jim.....

Michael

Thanks. So you think it's just to go ahead and cut out the bad metal and replace it? I was a bit worried about the the suspension pickup points.. But thanks anyway. Anyway the plan was to strip down the car and re paint it. So this is probably a good place to start.

Is this a normal problem with old X1/9 or, am i just in bad luck..?

If anyone have pictures that shows how they repaired this part of the car , i would be more than glad.

Ps. sorry about my english.. not often i write in english:idea:

That is one of the regular but easy fix ones. Those are single skin panels and can be reached from both the luggage area and the wheelarch making it pretty easy to work on.

The exposure to the wheelarch is usually where the rust problem starts while the luggage area tends to collect condensation making it worse. There is no easy way to stop it happening other than making sure it is properly painted and treated in the wheelarch area.

If it has started to go like that I would suggest paying extra attention to the scuttle area in front of the windscreen. If it has ever had a brake fluid spill then the scuttle will start to rust along the panel join into the cabin area. Again another easy fix but unsightly if allowed to carry on rusting.

Can't see anything else really problematic in the photo but as you say it isn't your car, just a similar scenario...

thanks a lot. how about the rear suspension pickup points... in the engine bay, got some problems there too.. the easies thing is probably to remove the engine while fixing the rust problems... but how is it to cut and weld into the 3 layer skin on the suspension towers? doesn't have a lot of rust but a few smal spots.... replace with just one thick plate or use three thin ones?

still a bit cold here in the north, so I can't start on the project right now but working on getting new/old replacement parts. Do you know of any good supplyer?

so far, thanks alot (y)

best regards HF

The rear towers are one of the hardest parts of the chassis to repair, I don't envy anyone doing that job and I don't have any advice on how best to tackle it as I've never done it myself.

The other suspension mounting points aren't too bad but you have to be incredibly accurate if you have to remake any of them. The positioning is seriously critical.

You can get most parts from the likes of cascu (the business has changed hands in the last couple of months so it may take a bit of work to get the right phone number).

Cascu's X1/9 parts business has been passed onto another company now.

the websites eurosport-uk.net (cant post proper link as on done a couple of posts so far)

Theres contact details on the page.

Back