Register Login
Mr. FIAT

Old 18-08-2007   #1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Whats The Difference

Between the shocks on a 78 X1/9 and an 82 X1/9

I ask because I have found some shocks for a a 75-78 1.3,1.5 and wondered if they would fit my 82 model.

Thank In Advance

Kev

bigfatbloke71 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-08-2007   #2
Trader Rating: 2
United Kingdom 
Re: Whats The Difference

earlier shocks are casings with a damper insert - you just unscrew the top and put a new insert cartridge in. Later units were a sealed design.

To really answer the question though, the earlier shocks have more travel and a higher ride height. Put them on a later car and you'll find that it sits all wrong.

The important bit is between the 1300 and 1500 - early 1500 shocks will fit a later car. 1300 shocks will fit but with the aforementioned problems
jimbro1000 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-08-2007   #3
United Kingdom 

Cheers again Jim

If we ever meet, I'll buy you a pint

Old 20-08-2007   #4
42 Wallaby Way Sydney

bludvl_x19 has donated!
Apples Champion
Australia 

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatbloke71 View Post
Cheers again Jim

If we ever meet, I'll buy you a pint

I heard that Jimbro is going on a world X fixing tour, so hes on his way after Midlands and Oz

blu

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. ~Albert Einstein
bludvl_x19 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-08-2007   #5
Australia 

Front shocks for all X19's are the same, early units are able to be refurbished with an insert as they are dismountable, later types (and most aftermarket units of early and late types) are sealed units not designed to be refurbished / reconditioned.

Rear shocks are different.

There are two major differences from early (four speed type) to late (five speed type).

The first is to do with the configuration of the shock shaft. Early units use an alloy cone (the same as used at the front) at the top of the shock (under the rubber isolation mount) whereas the later units this cone assembly is integral with the top spring seat/bump stop assembly. This means the early shocks have a stepped thicker section at the top of the shaft, Later type struts have a thinner seation below the thread (but you can use these with an additional sleeve to replicate the step)

The second difference is the style of lower mounting point.

Early and late types are different as the rear CV joints are different for four and five speed models. Early type struts will foul the later large CV joints. Late struts can be fitted to four speed cars.

There are also two distinctly different five speed rear strut assemblies. One has a higher positioned lower spring seat, which will make the rear of the car sit higher.

I've been a Fiat parts reseller for over 25 years, and can verify this information with the OEM Way-Assuto parts catalogue. I can also post some pics of the differences if you need more clarification.

SteveC

fiatfactory is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-08-2007   #6
SNAP!

luvduvs has donated!
Australia 

Quote Originally Posted by fiatfactory View Post
I've been a Fiat parts reseller for over 25 years
And seems you've been on this forum for a few years - awesome

Are there many Fiats on your side?

luvduvs is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-08-2007   #7
42 Wallaby Way Sydney

bludvl_x19 has donated!
Apples Champion
Australia 

Quote Originally Posted by luvduvs View Post
And seems you've been on this forum for a few years - awesome

Are there many Fiats on your side?

Me thinks that he means are there many Fiats on the West Coast?

blu

(Hopefully) Coming to a Street Near You

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. ~Albert Einstein
bludvl_x19 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-08-2007   #8
Christmas Matching Champion, Magic Ball Champion
Australia 

Quote Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Me thinks that he means are there many Fiats on the West Coast?

blu

(Hopefully) Coming to a Street Near You
They must be hiding, I don't see that many these days.

Troy.

TroyO is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-08-2007   #9
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by fiatfactory View Post
Front shocks for all X19's are the same, early units are able to be refurbished with an insert as they are dismountable, later types (and most aftermarket units of early and late types) are sealed units not designed to be refurbished / reconditioned.

Rear shocks are different.

There are two major differences from early (four speed type) to late (five speed type).

The first is to do with the configuration of the shock shaft. Early units use an alloy cone (the same as used at the front) at the top of the shock (under the rubber isolation mount) whereas the later units this cone assembly is integral with the top spring seat/bump stop assembly. This means the early shocks have a stepped thicker section at the top of the shaft, Later type struts have a thinner seation below the thread (but you can use these with an additional sleeve to replicate the step)

The second difference is the style of lower mounting point.

Early and late types are different as the rear CV joints are different for four and five speed models. Early type struts will foul the later large CV joints. Late struts can be fitted to four speed cars.

There are also two distinctly different five speed rear strut assemblies. One has a higher positioned lower spring seat, which will make the rear of the car sit higher.

I've been a Fiat parts reseller for over 25 years, and can verify this information with the OEM Way-Assuto parts catalogue. I can also post some pics of the differences if you need more clarification.

SteveC
But can you get replaceents