General X19 queries...

Currently reading:
General X19 queries...

GGX19

Hiya. Being a little greedy here, but I hope someone can help me with a few questions I have on my '87 X19.
Firstly, do I need to put in the lead replacement in when I fill up with unleaded or not? I seem to see different answers every time I look - and every now and again when filling up ( often in one of those small 'middle of nowhere' garages, I get told I shouldn't have to as it's an alloy head?...).

Second. I've now got 175/70/13 P3000s all round. Trouble is, on full lock, at least one side is rubbing on the arch, or at least the plastic protector, which I'm loathed to cut away. Are wheel spacers the answer? Have seen some online, choice of 3mm and 5mm. I'd appreciate advice if anyone's come across this issue before. The Pirellis seem great tyres and I'm a little confused by this issue, as I used to have one with 185s all round on on earlier car...

Lastly. Intermittent starter not turning problem. (red lights stay on) Have managed to get one here for £20 from ebay and thought to just change over. But it's not always as simple as changing a starter to fix this, is it? Anyone know of a reputable firm that could check this 'new' one out somewhere near Sheffield, as for all I know this one could need attention as well.

Thanks. Glenn.

The head was built to handle unleaded petrol pretty much from day 1. The same valve seats are used in the USA version and since that means unleaded fuel you can be fairly sure there is no chance of damage. There is caveat - Fiat have never actually said it is 100% safe instead they have said it is ok provided you do not "race" the engine.

From personal experience I've tried it from both angles - a modified head and an unmodified head and both given some very hard treatment. It was actually the modified head (modified for unleaded that is) that gave up while the unmodified head just kept on going.

As for what protection a lead substitute is going to give you? Pretty marginal on an alloy head, better than nothing but in reality I don't think you will see the difference inside of a good 100k miles of normal use.

Tyre rub is a bit harder. 175/70s are taller than the stock 165/70s or the recommended substitute 185/60s and by about an inch. It isn't the extra width that is really causing the problem and while a spacer might help the real solution is actually the right tyre.

Can't help with the starter...

Glenn,
Try adding an extra earth cable from somewhere on the engine to the chassis, I had a starting problem for almost a year before and adding this cable helped no end.
You'll probably find that you'll have to replace the big red battery to starter lead eventually tho

Cheers
Neojames2k

If you have a starter on the ground, use a pair of jump leads, attach the neg. to you battery and to the frame of the starter. attach the red. Pos. to the pos of the battery and clip it onto the main terminal on the starter solenoid. then get a short piece of wire about 10" and touch it onto the pos on the starter and touch in onto the little spade lug on the solenoid. make sure you keep your boot on top of the starter to hold it down. when you touch on the the short piece of wire to pos and solenoid start lug the starter motor should run and the solenoid should also push out the starter bendex. This is a quick way to test a starter on the ground. but be careful not to short the battery leads while doing it.

An extra earth strap from the rear bulkhead to the starter motor is always a good idea.

Unleaded is fine but make sure the top half of the engine is well ventilated as I've found fuel boils away leaving vapor lock in the lines.

I'd go for 5mm hubcentric spacers as the tyre is 10mm wider than the 175's I have on mine (this is a variable as my car is a 79 and you probably have different wheels). Universal "wobble on" spacers are crap and can make your car feel like the wheels are buckled if they move about while you fit them.

old thread but...

On the wheel rubbing issue, for the record - I have had 10mm delta mics hub-centric spacers fitted to my Trons with 165 70 13s and they rub lightly on the outer front edge of the wheel arch liner.

I was surprised this happened... :confused:

Back