Technical Wishbone advice please 18mm

Currently reading:
Technical Wishbone advice please 18mm

Stephen A500

Oh man,. So I’ve failed on the MOT with wishbone bushes, the quotes I’ve received to get them replaced where far to high.

So I’ve removed the complete bloody front end (nothing new) I’ve removed the beams to allow access to the 18mm bolts.. but oh my goodness I cant get them to budge. I’ve gone through batteries on the impact wrench and not one of 4 will budge..

Tomorrow is another day, charged batteries. Tin of wd40 used.

Anyways, what’s the trick to these? Am I meant to Jack the hub up?

Thanks

2 pictures

Attachments

• 22B10E57-6569-4E27-888E-5E9936BAE044.jpeg
    22B10E57-6569-4E27-888E-5E9936BAE044.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 5B5E93E7-06DD-460C-845C-F1848D58CCE4.jpeg
    5B5E93E7-06DD-460C-845C-F1848D58CCE4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
Personally I use engine oil the night before to soak in, on seized bolts, WD40 is a bit light. I can't see from the picture, is it a trapped nut it screws into? If safe to do so , a bit of heat from a propane torch, then a bit more oil as it soaks in better when hot. Then leverage, I use a three quarter inch knuckle bar with a1/2 adapter to the appropriate impact socket and if all else fails a piece of scaffold tubing on the end. Beats battery toys/tools nearly every time for me on a truly seized bolt.
Where I would use the impact tool is for awkward places and where a "rattle hammer action" can shake a bolt loose without breaking it. I do have 1/2 and 3/4 in 110 volt and compressed air impact tools for some jobs.
If it is a nut and bolt and you can source another nut you can disc cut one flat off the nut very close to the bolt thread to weaken the grip.
I know this sounds a bit agricultural and aggressive , but controlled force can work.;)
The bit about "Am I meant to Jack the hub up?" What are you referring to? If it is for aligning the wishbone to slide into the subframe on return, you should be able to push the suspension strut to one side to get the bolts back in and then push the wishbone down with a bar so you can locate the bottom ball joint.
Also re wishbone bushes, sometimes it is more cost effective to buy a complete wishbone as you don't need to press the new bushes in and it should come with a new bottom ball joint.

Back