Technical What’s this?

Currently reading:
Technical What’s this?

JonPiz

I just too my diff apart to replace the drive shafts on a 126 syncro box. When I too one drive shaft out, this appeared on the bench surface I was working on. Now I don’t know if it’s come out of the diff or it’s nothing to do with the gearbox

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 39
It is a wavy thin spring washer that fits between the driving blocks at the inner end of the drive shaft and the drive shaft itself. There are two drive blocks per shaft inside the diff but often only one of those washers.

It is a wavy thin spring washer that fits between the driving blocks at the inner end of the drive shaft and the drive shaft itself. There are two drive blocks per shaft inside the diff but often only one of those washers.
I checked the other side but there were none on that side. To be honest I’m not sure which driving block it should go behind so would it be that detrimental to leave it out?

I checked the other side but there were none on that side. To be honest I’m not sure which driving block it should go behind so would it be that detrimental to leave it out?
It is quite normal to only have one and it will not matter which side it goes.

I just too my diff apart to replace the drive shafts on a 126 syncro box. When I too one drive shaft out, this appeared on the bench surface I was working on. Now I don’t know if it’s come out of the diff or it’s nothing to do with the gearbox
It looks like one of the spring washers that goes between the axle shaft and one of the square drive 'blocks'. The drive is transmitted from the crown-wheel to the drive-shaft by these square drive-blocks, one on each side of the end of the drive-shaft (in the crown wheel). To stop the block rattling (I assume), the spring washer goes on the 'T' piece at the drive end of the drive-shaft before the drive 'block' .Howeffective they are I can't say---I have taken many diffs apart when changing drives shafts---some have the washers and some don't. Whether this is because people have just 'left them out' accidentely, I can't say.

Back