General Wet carpet

Currently reading:
General Wet carpet

radiopanda

Evening all. Just noticed a damp wet-doggy smell and saw that the driver's side carpets are wet front and rear! It has been extremely rainy recently...

It's a 2008 Dynamic Eco and I've only had it 2 months so not seen this before. I had a quick look around and noticed this gap in the corner of the windscreen seal (same both sides). Is this normal?

Temperature gauge and everything seems normal. A couple of drips around the pedals but I'm stumped. Might get the hose out. It's only just had its MOT and service and went straight through!

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_202941512.jpg
    IMG_20211005_202941512.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 88
It (the gap) is fairly normal.
Search the forum for "duckbills" for the most likely source of the damp.
Especially likely after heavy rain if not cleaned out fairly regularly.

Ahaaaa... are these the black rubbery thingies under the wipers? I just noticed a trail of damp in the engine bay leading to one, gave it a poke. It moved and a load of water came out.

How can I get to them easily to clean them out and pop them back in place please?

Little update. Took them out (I have nimble hands), gave them a wash and emptied all the muck out. I think I'm right in that they were both pointing 'inwards' down to the engine bay to avoid some electrickery that was there.

What I can't get my head around is how the water got into the rear driver's side footwell too. The carpet over the box section under the seat isn't wet, but it must have seeped through somehow...

I recently had to replace the wiper motor (oh what fun with the scuttle trim cover) But I was also able to properly clean out the heater duck bills and properly wrap the wiring loom. I didn't change the cabin filter (hidden under the wiper motor) but I now know the tricks for getting at it.

PS Anyone doing this: After removing the wiper arms, remove the three screws on the scuttle plastic cover and sled the cover forwards. It has about 10 "L" shape nylon clips that retain the top edge of the trim under the windscreen glass. They are easy to break so take care.

Little update. Took them out (I have nimble hands), gave them a wash and emptied all the muck out. I think I'm right in that they were both pointing 'inwards' down to the engine bay to avoid some electrickery that was there.

What I can't get my head around is how the water got into the rear driver's side footwell too. The carpet over the box section under the seat isn't wet, but it must have seeped through somehow...

only need pin hole in the seam to drip in. When its full it will continue to drip for weeks or it all emptied to the footwell.

some people cut a few mm of the duckbills to widen the slot slightly so its less likely to reoccur

only need pin hole in the seam to drip in. When its full it will continue to drip for weeks or it all emptied to the footwell.

You say that but while both of mine simply sit into their holes in the scuttle, the heater intake area will fill up during very heavy rain. There is no seal yet enough water collects to be sloshing about while driving. Having loose drains means I can just open the bonnet and lift one of them to release the water.

Back