Technical Weird Wheel Shaking

Currently reading:
Technical Weird Wheel Shaking

Ive just been driving back from liverpool, and i wasnt driving fast or anything just crusing down the dual carriage way when all of a sudden i could feel the steering shaking like mad, faster i got the worst it became, and it was pulling really hard to the left.
Just before i stopped to have a look the shaking went, i have had a look underneath and only thing i can see is slight tear in my CV boot.
Its just been driving ok for the past 15mins.

Anyone any ideas what could have caused this ?

My car is the HGT Punto 01 :)

Ive just been driving back from liverpool, and i wasnt driving fast or anything just crusing down the dual carriage way when all of a sudden i could feel the steering shaking like mad, faster i got the worst it became, and it was pulling really hard to the left.
Just before i stopped to have a look the shaking went, i have had a look underneath and only thing i can see is slight tear in my CV boot.
Its just been driving ok for the past 15mins.

Anyone any ideas what could have caused this ?

My car is the HGT Punto 01 :)

Wheel shaking indicates to me that your wheel(s) are un-balanced but this woud only happen is you get a new tyre or kurb your wheels quite bad...
the only other thing could be tracking but i reckon you need to get your wheel balanced :)

if a wheel has been off lately then as said sometimes they dont seat on the flange hub correctly and when they do the wheel bolts would be loose
other thing is a kack on a tyre waiting to explode
or the cv joint has semi locked and also waiting to throw you into a wall of doom

see all simple stuff

happy bank holiday:p:D;)

Thanks for the replies.
If it was a wheel unbalance or tracking issue, then wouldn't the shaking and pulling the to the left have continued ?
It did feel as if the wheel was about to fall of but this felt tight when i checked it

Couple of weeks ago i changed my dics and pads, and on the n/s/f wheel one of the wheel alignment bolts snapped and i didnt replace as i couldnt get the snapped bolt out the hub :/

Would this be causing me the problem ? Every now and then it makes a little whining sound but will only make it for like 2-3 seconds then come back randomly for the same time.

are the tyres to pressure?
if underpressure it might have heated up and caused a carbuncle that has since gone down
i would seriously take the wheel off and check the tyre carefully
if you mean the pins holding the disc on i wouldnt be worried so long as the disc is tight to the hub once the wheel is also on tight
as i said earlier these punto rims sometimes dont fully fit onto the hub if a band of corrosion develops so need banging on with your hand or cleaning of both faces with emery cloth helps

are the tyres to pressure?
if underpressure it might have heated up and caused a carbuncle that has since gone down
i would seriously take the wheel off and check the tyre carefully
if you mean the pins holding the disc on i wouldnt be worried so long as the disc is tight to the hub once the wheel is also on tight
as i said earlier these punto rims sometimes dont fully fit onto the hub if a band of corrosion develops so need banging on with your hand or cleaning of both faces with emery cloth helps
I

always check my tyre pressures. i Usually have them at 31/32 PSI
Ive just had a look at the wheel, there is no play shaking up and down, but there is the tiniest play when going left to right.

I took a few photos of the hub condition.

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0100.jpg
    IMAG0100.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 18
To start with your missing a wheel alignment peg, not end of the worlds

The cv boots is ready for replacing

the pulling to the left could easily be a failing track rod end, its sticking knocking the tracking out = vibrations

defo get wheels torqued to correct level
the 1.2 8v is 86nm IIRC
Think HGT is same?

Check you havent lost a balance weight as welll

But the cv joint could also be to blame, the joint could be failing, causing it to fall apart inside

ziggy

As long as it doesnt fail tonight then :) planning on going to the garage tomorrow with my car :)

I checked the wheel weights, rolled it along the path went in a perfect straight line. I think it could be a failing CV boots TBH... Will see what the garage says :)

Thanks Guys

Just been to the garage, and he said because my car is so low to the floor and the springs are knackered the drive shaft is working on an angle rather than being straight line and he thinks this has popped out and popped back in again.

He told me to buy new springs and will sort it all out for me :)

Just been to the garage, and he said because my car is so low to the floor and the springs are knackered the drive shaft is working on an angle rather than being straight line and he thinks this has popped out and popped back in again.

He told me to buy new springs and will sort it all out for me :)

ive has some delivered by my factor (standard) and they look good quality and exactly the same brand as offered cheapest inc postage on ebay
havent fitted them yet though
powder coated etc the box says

Back