General Water in footwell

Currently reading:
General Water in footwell

malcolmgb

I noticed yesterday my drivers footwell carpet is wet, is it possible with all the recent bad weather that a drain hole for the air intake could become blocked with ice, and snow could melt leaking into the car? There are rubber mats so it is not from wet shoes, no air con or sun-roof fitted. This is the 3rd winter I have owned it and no problem noticed before, only work done is cambelt replaced early 2010.

That sounds like a likely cause, I havent looked but the air intake just in front of the windscreen so if you follow it around you should find the drain hole.

I shouldnt think it is ice as the engine heat would have thawed it on a regular basis, it could be leaves and seeds etc... from trees though.

Checked the air intake which all seems clear. I realise the screen is bonded onto the body but is there a secondary seal anywhere before water gets to the bonding seal?
Not very well up on modern car construction I go back to the days of glass held in by rubber seals which could be resealed.

Back