Technical Water coming from Air-Con drain pipe?

Currently reading:
Technical Water coming from Air-Con drain pipe?

Hello guys I would be very gratefull if you could help me out with a small query. I was having a nice drive in my Panda 100HP and when I pulled up at my destination I noticed a leak under the car. It didnt smell like coolant and wasnt oil, it was clear and appeared to be just water. I checked the engine bay and I couldnt see any evidence of a leak and the coolant tank was full. When I drove back home I kept an eye on the engine temp and it was steady as a rock. When I dropped my partner off I checked under the car and liquid was pouring out. I managed to find the source and it was a drain like tube near the drivers side lower suspension arm. I have never had a car with climate control before but I suspected that the water was something to do with the air-con system. It was a very hot day and I had the climate control on for about 4 hours. I took the car straight down to Fiat and they confirmed that it was coming from the drain tube for the air-con system.

So my question is this information correct? There was a lot of fluid coming out of that tube but like I said it was a very hot day. Any help would be gratefully recieved, cheers guys.

This is perfectly normal and the garage is telling you the truth. All cars with A/C have a drain pipe to dump the condensate. A/C removes excess humidity from the air, this is condensed and channeled away by pipe. Look under any car with A/C and see the same. The outflow continues for a while after you switch the engine off.

I've had A/C since 1977 and it has never been any different, in fact, a diminishing amount of condensate is one of the indicators that the system might need re-gassing.

As above, perfectly normal. Looking at the car from the side it appears just behind the rear of the front wheels.

The location of the drain is in a very poor place on the Panda though and will most probably lead to sub frame / cross member corrosion later on. For this reason we've modified and extended the drainage pipe on our Eleganza so it doesn't drain all over the sub frame.

Jon.

It's probably the chilled water pumped around your dashboard to make the air cool expanding as it gets cold and flooding out of the radiator overflow.

It's probably the chilled water pumped around your dashboard to make the air cool expanding as it gets cold and flooding out of the radiator overflow.
There's a long history of mental disorders in Derbyshire.
It's due to the lack of Iodine in the diet, caused by not being able to eat fish with living so far from the sea. This affects the Thyroid gland and dulls the brain.
:)

There's a long history of mental disorders in Derbyshire.
It's due to the lack of Iodine in the diet, caused by not being able to eat fish with living so far from the sea. This affects the Thyroid gland and dulls the brain.
:)

Not strictly true as we always have Iceland where we can buy Birds Eye fish fingers. ;)

Although there is a long history of mental disorder.

I got my 500 serviced at the dealership today (yeah, I know!) and freaked out after I got home and noticed two puddles underneath the car roughly where the brake pedal is. Put some white paper underneath to catch the dripping, and also dipped my fingers in and it just seems to be plain water -- no odour, not slippery or oily, just clear liquid.

For a moment I thought the apprentice mechanic had screwed something up again, phew!

Glad to find out it's just air con condensate! I sat around for half an hour to make sure; the dripping has stopped and the puddle has dried up.

(Sorry, just realised this is the Panda forum, but I got here via Google)

Last edited:
Back