Technical UNO 1242cc Petrol ECM

Currently reading:
Technical UNO 1242cc Petrol ECM

ashar786

i have an UNO 1242cc petrol version 2000 model, for few days i am having problem with the injection system due to which i am getting injection system failure lamp in my dash..:confused:
this problem has made driveability of my car very very poor, it misfires quite often, but he engine start in the cold condition is excellent, problem arrives only when i drive, i have to increase the engine rpm frequently so that the engine doesn't stall...i am fed up of this problem..its embarassing too.:bang:
can there be problem with the ECM???? and what are the symptoms if the complete ECM is gone???:eek:
please help me guys

what are the symptoms if the complete ECM is gone?????:bang:

Problem is that the 1242 injected Uno was not available in the UK so not many people will know the system. It's possibly the same as the Punto/ Cinquecento SPi system but otherwise I don't know. It does sound as if you need to take it to someone who can plug a computer into the ECU and then read the fault codes. That way you'll be able to pin point where your problem lies.

Good luck!

Problem is that the 1242 injected Uno was not available in the UK so not many people will know the system. It's possibly the same as the Punto/ Cinquecento SPi system but otherwise I don't know. It does sound as if you need to take it to someone who can plug a computer into the ECU and then read the fault codes. That way you'll be able to pin point where your problem lies.

Good luck!
Thank you dude, yes, i have hangered my car in the dealer's service station but not yet diagnosed, but the service has hinted that there might be a problem with the ECM..:bang: is it possible..??? what are the signs if the whole ECM unit has gone..?? My car is having Central fuel Injection which is also called MPFI and has the electronic carburettor.

Thank you dude, yes, i have hangered my car in the dealer's service station but not yet diagnosed, but the service has hinted that there might be a problem with the ECM..:bang: is it possible..??? what are the signs if the whole ECM unit has gone..?? My car is having Central fuel Injection which is also called MPFI and has the electronic carburettor.

If the whole ECU is gone the car won't run at all. I remember speaking to an RAC man and he told me 90% of ECUs sent for repair / replaced as faulty aren't. The problems you exhibit could be any manner of things, a faulty sensor, dodgy HT leads, dodgy Dizzy cap, dodgy injector....

If the whole ECU is gone the car won't run at all. I remember speaking to an RAC man and he told me 90% of ECUs sent for repair / replaced as faulty aren't. The problems you exhibit could be any manner of things, a faulty sensor, dodgy HT leads, dodgy Dizzy cap, dodgy injector....
thanks buddy, thats what i was thinking, i hope the problem isn't the ECM , the ECM is a costly affair, FIAT has already stopped producing this model long time back in India, getting an ECM would be(n).:worship:
Hey can u tell me whereas MAP sensor, lambda sensor and throttle positioning is located, and how come my engine starts good when cold and doesn't stall when idle??? only when i drive i face problem..??

thanks buddy, thats what i was thinking, i hope the problem isn't the ECM , the ECM is a costly affair, FIAT has already stopped producing this model long time back in India, getting an ECM would be(n).:worship:
Hey can u tell me whereas MAP sensor, lambda sensor and throttle positioning is located, and how come my engine starts good when cold and doesn't stall when idle??? only when i drive i face problem..??

The ECM may be interchangeable with a later model like the Palio.

thepottleflump gave very good advice in the post above. The injection light coming on is most likely to be a side-effect of a minor ignition problem such as spark plugs, ignition leads. The lambda sensor (we'll assume your car has one, it may not) 'reads' the exhaust gas, so if a spark plug doesn't fire, it causes the lambda sensor to report the wrong mixture in the exhaust, and then the injection warning light comes on, even if there is nothing wrong with the injection system!

Ignition problems are more noticeable under load - when the engine is idling unloaded, weak spark plugs may be sufficient, but when the load comes on, they stop firing. So given that this is what you described, start with the basics (spark plugs, HT leads) and work your way up to the MAP sensor/throttle position sensor etc. later.

For a description of the part names, see your other thread - please try not to double-post!

-Alex

Last edited:
Back