General Unbelievable Stupid 'Legislation'

Currently reading:
General Unbelievable Stupid 'Legislation'

A car starts with the base price, then special car tax (introduced in the 70s I seem to remember) is added, then vat on that and any extras like plates and delivery. A van does not have the special car tax. If you later add side windows, it becomes liable for special car tax, calculated on its value at the time the windows were added, plus vat on the car tax! So beware if you buy a used van privately if windows have been added. Get proof the car tax has been paid, or you, the current owner will become liable when the revenue catch up. They don't chase the previous owner.

Think of it as your contribution to digging this country out of the hole we didn't put it in.

Didn't they abolish car tax some years back?

I know of someone who had started a small home-based business and put a couple of stickers on their BMW mini as advertisement, and they were challenged at the local tip for using a "commercial vehicle" to dump a few branches they had trimmed off the tree in their garden...

Quite right also. :p Only joking - although they informed their insurance company I take it??!

Back to OP though, has always been the case, issues with people in the Doblo's being done.

Just need to check your V5C and that the type approval is M1 (y)

Pass.

To be frank I wouldn't think to if it were me! I've stuck loads of stickers on cars and never told them, some advertising forums or clubs...

Adding stickers advertising others just makes your car look messy. Adding an advertisement for your own business may change its insurance status. Insurance company may consider it to be business use and set the premium accordingly.

Adding stickers advertising others just makes your car look messy. Adding an advertisement for your own business may change its insurance status. Insurance company may consider it to be business use and set the premium accordingly.

Even if not for a business, IE just normal Decals, some companies will place a loading, so always best to check :)

It's not daft, and not about money grabbing tbh ;)

Bumper stickers are so common, and you'll find them on a huge number of cars.

Lets say for example someone visits a zoo. They buy a bumper sticker: "I've been to the zoo!", and fit it to their car. Can any insurance company genuinely justify insisting that said bumper sticker should be declared to them, and charging a levy for doing so?

How about dealer stickers? My car has none, it was the first thing I removed, but would any insurance company bother insisting that you tell them there's a dealer sticker fitted in your window?

No different again for club decals IMO. If I were to put www.fiatforum.com on the bottom of a window, what difference does that really make to my insurance company?

So, I'm sorry but, yes, it is daft.

Bumper stickers are so common, and you'll find them on a huge number of cars.

Lets say for example someone visits a zoo. They buy a bumper sticker: "I've been to the zoo!", and fit it to their car. Can any insurance company genuinely justify insisting that said bumper sticker should be declared to them, and charging a levy for doing so?

How about dealer stickers? My car has none, it was the first thing I removed, but would any insurance company bother insisting that you tell them there's a dealer sticker fitted in your window?

No different again for club decals IMO. If I were to put www.fiatforum.com on the bottom of a window, what difference does that really make to my insurance company?

So, I'm sorry but, yes, it is daft.

No you're being daft. We're on about decals and sign writing, not dealer window or bumper stickers.

It's been discussed in detail on here before so I'm not starting this again, just stating fact and how it is.

Back